 General / 53501
53500  |  53502
Subject:
An Unknown Vintage Set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 02:57:57 GMT

Tom Linclau of Belgium today asked this question on the Bricklink Forum, so I
had to do some investigation, and it seems that we've discovered a new "unknown"
set of 1968-72.  Here's the cut/paste:

Hi All,

On a surprisingly well-known auction site I bought an old set but it does not
contain any nbr for identification. The box apparantly consist of an outer part
covering top,bottom front and back sides, but the inner tray which is missing
has the outer left and right sides. Probably these had a number on them.

Pictures are on brickshelf :

From the LEGO logo I'd say this is from around 1973.

Can anyone give more hints ?

Thanks,

Tom

Well..... I have been studying this set for a while now. Here's what I have
deduced:

1) it is NOT a USA or Canada Samsonite set, although it looks rather like one.
The USA and Canada Samsonite Basic sets ALL say "LEGO Building Toy" (also in
French on the Canadian version) on the LEGO logo.

2) it is definitely circa 1968-72 (the new LEGO logo came out in 1973), and of
European origin.

3) it has the same box dimensions as the #011 set.
_______________________________________

Well I figured it out (after some research).

This set is set #010! But it is not the same #010 as was sold from 1965-68.

Link credits go to Horst Lehner catalog website!

From 1965-67 TLG sold (in continental Europe, Britain and Australia only) Basic
Sets #010, #020, #030, #040, #050 and #060 (as seen in this 1967 German
Catalog):

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk67b/GK67B-07.JPG

From 1968-72 TLG sold (also in continental Europe, Britain and Australia only)
Basic Sets #011, #022, #033, #044, #055, and #066 (as seen in this 1968 German
Catalog):

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk72/GK72-04.JPG

HOWEVER....

I did notice that in some countries that instead of #011 being sold... #010 was
still sold until 1972. Belgium and Denmark were 2 of the countries. I had always
assumed that maybe these were leftover earlier #010 sets that were surplus
inventory. And that is how I described them on my LEGO Sets/Parts History CD.

HOWEVER...

The #010 sets sold in Belgium and Denmark (and perhaps a few other continental
European countries... were NOT leftover older sets!!!

They were NEW #010 sets that show up here on the Peeron 1972 Belgium Catalog:

http://www.peeron.com/catalogs/1972/medium/4/

Notice how that #010 set has NO WINDOWS and NO DOORS!

This is the identical set that Tom Linclau has... He has a Denmark/Belgium (and
elsewhere?) 1968-72 #010 set.

Compare the 1972 Begium catalog page with the 1972 German catalog page again:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk72/GK72-04.JPG

The pages are identical, except for the #010 versus #011 sets (and listing). And
as we can see between the 2 pictures... the #010 has no windows/doors, while the
#011 DOES have windows/doors.

So there is a continental European 1965-67 #010 Basic Set, and a Belgium/Denmark
(and ?) 1968-72 #010 Basic Set that is different!

This 1968-72 #010 set is a previously unlisted (in Bricklink/Peeron/Lugnet) set
that has now been discovered!!!! (Sorry for getting so excited).

God, I love these kind of LEGO mystery puzzles....

Cheers,
Gary Istok