 General / 52926
Re: Resale shops / whose been geting your brick buck this year?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:44:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Karl Paulsen wrote:
Something must be changing in the resale shop market because when I was a youth
some ,16-10 years ago, I could never find LEGO at any reasale shops, and family
finances being what they were I practically lived in resale shops. Now I have
located a thrift store that has used LEGO nearly every time I stop by.

Wow and congrats! Your experience has certainly been different than mine. My
wife and I used to hit the thrift stores every week. We stopped going two years
ago for two reasons:
1) We realized our house was full of junk that we didn't need.
2) As eBay and Antiques Roadshow grew in popularity the selection at thrift
stores went down hill. There were two things that I think happened
simultaneously. First, people stopped giving their stuff to the stores, opting
for eBay instead. Second, toward the end of our thrift store days we noticed the
same people at the stores; this caused us to speculate that they were using
thrift stores to feed their eBay business. Ya, the early bird gets the worm, and
maybe there is more Lego in the stores now than ever. But to the casual shopper
Lego is a rare find.