 General / 52589
Re: LEGO Factory Updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 19:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   http://www.legofactory.com

As mentioned last month, LEGO Factory has just now been updated with quite a few improvements - including individual part pricing rather than by-the-bag pricing - among several other things. There’s a new LDD (v1.6) released, which also runs on Intel Macs, and more than 500 different bricks, including elements for trains and minifigs as well as decorated bricks. Oh, and one more important thing...

It includes an LDraw Exporter.

I haven’t downloaded and played with it yet, but I’m about to. The press release says there will be about a 60% savings over bag-based palettes.

Kelly

Wow. This is great. I loaded in some models I had made with this last summer and after replacing some parts, got a few models and checked their price. The difference is amazing. A little model that cost a ridiculous $100+ last summer is now very reasonably priced at around $12. At last this tool makes sense to use! I had given up on it after the initial excitement last summer because of the way the parts bag system worked - but this “by the piece” system makes it something that lives up to the hype.

Now, I wonder if the initial release and advertising that TLG did over the last year is going to hurt them - a lot of kids and parents have probably tried this and had a bad experience with the pricing. I wish TLG had actually kept this under wraps until now, when it is finally ready for primetime. Will kids and parents give this idea another chance? I hope so...but time will tell.

I also have to interject a note of pessimism. The fact that this is the long-anticipated “Lego Train Factory” does not bode well for the continuance of the 9V system. My understanding from the presentation at BF last summer was that Lego Train Factory and the new “hobby train” line would be closely tied together. It seems we now have the train factory, without 9V parts. I hear the bell tolling for the 9V train system, unfortunately.

But, on the whole, this has made me happy. I will probably actually buy something directly from Lego Shop @ Home due to this, and that hasn’t happened in a number of years...

It is the first time since last summer’s Brickfest that I felt good about something going on at the Lego company.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@charter.net