 General / 52066
Re: What's the worst Lego-related thing you've ever done?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:14:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
Hey all,

The recent, yet not-too-terribly-surprising, Lego-related law-breakin' news
got me to thinking.

***snip***
here it is, for anyone joining the conversation late:
http://news.lugnet.com/mediawatch/?n=1968
***snip***

What's the worst thing you've ever done in a
Lego-related way?  I'm not talking about modding the brick or fanning flame
wars (or starting them), I'm talking about things that many would consider
outright felonious activity.

Will anyone else testify?!  Come now, brothers and sisters!  I will admit
that when I went to the Discovery Museum for the Lego Underwater Adventure
sometime in the late 90's, I saw a 2x2x2 "minifig dress" slope in red in the
open build table pile and palmed it.  Not the worst thing I've ever done,
but some secrets must stay secret.

Unbelievably, the worst I've ever done was to steal a 1x2x3 door from a friend,
about 25 years ago.
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=32

It's not just that I'm so astonishingly, commendably, and scrupulously honest,
but also that I've never imagined I could get away with it.  What does it profit
a man if he gains a Galaxy Explorer but loseth his freedom?

I follow the straight and narrow path today, but 'twas not always so.

I've had a few days to think about Mr. Swanberg.  I've never corresponded with
him and have never sold to nor bought from him.  I never even knowingly heard
his name until Friday.

But his behavior, deplorable though it be, really isn't distinct from those
among us who buy from Store A at a discount and return to Store B at full price.
It's still theft, even if the thief tries to justify it by saying "hey, it's
their dumb Return Policy, so they're asking for it."  The only difference is in
degree.

Even hiding a desirable set on a shelf until it goes to deep discount is pretty
shady, though not illegal.

Swanberg should clearly be prosecuted for these crimes (with a presumption of
innocence, of course), but it would be a mistake for us to forget that many here
have stolen in essentially the same way, if not to the same extent.

Dave!

(of course, my unabashed clone-fandom is probably a far worse transgression, in
some people's eyes...)