 General / 51927
Re: WARNING: Paypal fraud!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 03:01:14 GMT

I usually run it through spamcop if I'm not sure, although it is so easy to
spot the fakes that it's hardly more than a verification that the email is
indeed fraudulent.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

"Mr L F Braun" <braun@historySPAMBAD.rutgers.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
At least for Paypal, you can be sure if it doesn't have your first and
last name
in the greeting, it's not from Paypal. But the information on that page
can
relate to any similar emails supposedly from banks, etc.
I have found that its a good idea to just ignore any emails from paypal
or
most banks.
If its important enough that they need to tell you, they will tell you
via
some other means.

It also helps that some mail programs (Eudora, for example) will actually
warn
you if a link in an email directs you away from the supposed originating
site.
That's a good way to spot them.  Also, it often helps that these phishing
emails
are written or edited by people with very poor language skills--despite
their
use of official graphics, they can be easy to spot.

And always email spoof@paypal.com with any spoof emails you get, including
the
full headers.  They do occasionally actually catch phishers.