 General / 51926
Re: WARNING: Paypal fraud!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 02:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
At least for Paypal, you can be sure if it doesn't have your first and last name
in the greeting, it's not from Paypal. But the information on that page can
relate to any similar emails supposedly from banks, etc.
I have found that its a good idea to just ignore any emails from paypal or
most banks.
If its important enough that they need to tell you, they will tell you via
some other means.

It also helps that some mail programs (Eudora, for example) will actually warn
you if a link in an email directs you away from the supposed originating site.
That's a good way to spot them.  Also, it often helps that these phishing emails
are written or edited by people with very poor language skills--despite their
use of official graphics, they can be easy to spot.

And always email spoof@paypal.com with any spoof emails you get, including the
full headers.  They do occasionally actually catch phishers.