 General / 51885
Re: LEGO® Blocked by Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Thomas Main wrote:

<http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&actionFor=561890>

It's interesting that the Best-Lock logo uses their version of a 1 x 6 brick,
not a 2 x 4 brick design.  Did they change from a 2 x 4 logo during the course
of this suit?  Lego used to use the 2 x 4 as part of the "SYSTEM" logo, but they
have not used that design for a number of years.

That's a good question. I have some Best-Lock instruction books (but no boxes)
from '98 or '99, and I'll check them when I get home to see if the logo included
a brick.

I didn't realize that about the LEGO logo.  Hmm...

I'm just glad this suit is over.  I wonder how much it cost to prosecute versus
the cost of producing some new window pieces, for instance.  I wish Lego would
spend more time and money on defining their brand as a quality, versatile
product that is by its nature distinguished from other brands than pursue
supposed infringements on old patents, trademarks, etc.

Very true.  There are a zillion "Hot Wheels-style" toy car brands not owned by
Mattel, but Mattel doesn't sue every one of them for infringement.  LEGO should
take that cue and learn from it.  Investigate possible instances of patent
violation, and prosecute likely violations of patent infringement.  Don't waste
much more time on nebulous "brand dilution" now that the 2x4 brick and the
studs-n-tubes system are in the public domain.

How could they do that?  Flip-lid boxes with inserts that show the new
specialized pieces like they used to have?  Color consistency that would put
their competitors to shame (and that they could advertise on the box)?  A
printed, collectible Lego logo brick in each set?  I don't know.  But there are
ways to distinguish oneself other than lawsuits.

Also very true.  How many brands of laundry soap are on the market worldwide?
And how many of them waste time suing each for futile brand dilution
allegations?  Unless an actual violation or fraud has occurred, IMO it would be
better for LEGO to concentrate upon itself for a while.

Dave!