 General / 51690
  What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?

For me, it was the (URL) 6626 Rescue Helicopter> from 1981, and I was 10. I wanted the rotor-mount because it was unlike anything I had in my small collection up to that point. My mother asked me specifically whether I wanted the set for itself or (...) (19 years ago, 9-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun, FTX)

  Re: What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?

(...) I remember buying the Beach Buggy 8845 because it had suspension springs. I think I was 8 at the time. I had £20 and that was about £13 and the rail tanker 7816 was £6.49. That was in preference to one £20 set because of the parts. It was the (...) (19 years ago, 9-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun, FTX)

  Re: What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?

(...) For me it was as an adult. Circa 1980 (I was 27), and it was the London Bus Set #760 (#384 in Canada, Britain, Australia and continental Europe). This set was first produced in 1975 in USA (1974 elsewhere). I found them on clearance at a "J. (...) (19 years ago, 9-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun, FTX)

  Re: What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?

I was an adult (39). I had been brought out by Dark Ages by Lego Mindstorms, but rapidly discovered I needed more Technics parts. So I went out and bought some 1257 {Trike Buggy} and some 1259 {Bike Blaster}. Kerry (19 years ago, 12-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun)

  Re: What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote: <snip> (...) I really have to say my second Mindstorms 1.0 Up until then, I bought sets and put them together as per instructions... then ripped them apart and used the pieces for other creations. I also bought (...) (19 years ago, 12-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun)

  Re: What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?

I can't remember the set, but everything I've bought since the end of my Dark Ages, circa 1992 or so, have been parts buys. Most of it was mixed secondhand stuff from a consignment shop is big ziploc bags, but they had some complete sets as well. (...) (19 years ago, 13-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun)