 General / 51692
Re: What was the first set you bought for parts, and how old were you?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:16:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
   For me, it was the 6626 Rescue Helicopter from 1981, and I was 10. I wanted the rotor-mount because it was unlike anything I had in my small collection up to that point.

My mother asked me specifically whether I wanted the set for itself or for the part, because $1.96 seemed an outrageous outlay for a single part!

Well, I guess it’s two parts, because the 3462 wasn’t of much use to my decade-old mind without the 3461 to go with it!

Perhaps this was the moment at which I moved from a mere fan to a fan who collects...

Anyone else recall similar epiphanies?

Dave!

I remember buying the Beach Buggy 8845 because it had suspension springs. I think I was 8 at the time. I had £20 and that was about £13 and the rail tanker 7816 was £6.49. That was in preference to one £20 set because of the parts.

It was the first step on a slippery slope that’s seen me buy 13 Backhoe Loaders (8862) for the pneumatic parts and justify every set I buy on the usefulness of the parts for my MOCs. I don’t usually buy a set unless I can directly use at least half the parts (or parts that make up half the cost). I couldn’t have justified spending £250 on an Imperial Star Destroyer only for it to be an ornament for ever! The parts are far more useful than that and I have to keep to a budget :-)

Mark