 General / 5145
5144  |  5146
Subject:
Allocation of member #'s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:33:16 GMT

Any opinions on how LUGNET member #'s should be allocated/assigned?

Here are some possibilities:

- One possibility is simply to start at 1 and count upward on a first-
  come, first-serve basis, one number at a time.  (I think this might
  be what ICQ does...?)  Whatever number ya get, ya got, and that's that.

- Another possibility is a variant of that where you get to choose your
  number from a list of the lowest 100 available numbers.  (This would
  allow the superstitious among us to avoid scary numbers like 13, 666,
  or 7734 -- or to have a better chance at getting something containing
  a favorite or lucky number, like 23, 69, or 7777.)

- Still another possibility is a variant of both of those, where certain
  numeric ranges are reserved for or allocated to old-timers.  For
  example, anything in the range 1-9 might be allocated to a few really
  old-timers from the old 1993-94 days, and anything in the range 10-99
  might most appropriately be allocated to old-timers from 1993-96, etc.
  Anything above 100, I think, gets a bit tricky to start figure out who
  gets what.

All of this, of course, assumes that people actually -care- what number
they happen to wind up with, and that they might prefer lower numbers
over larger numbers...and this might not be universally the case.

Does anyone care?  The #'s will be lifetime-lasting.

--Todd

[followups set to lugnet.admin.general]