 General / 50979
Re: The pseudo-intellectual ramblings of a cool-guy wanna-be.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:43:12 GMT

Felix Greco wrote:

At the end of this month IÂ’m turning 30.  IÂ’m not real happy about it, but
thatÂ’s beside the point.  I was raised in the 80s.  I ate Captain Crunch,
Chef
Boyardee, and if I was lucky Taco Bell.  I would wake up early on Saturday
mornings and watch G.I. Joe and Transformers (I about peed my pants when
they
did a cross-over cartoon).  As I played with my legos (as I called them
back
then) IÂ’d sing along with Billy Idol, Madonna, and Duran Duran.  My sense
of how to deal with delicate social situations was learned from my mentors
Jack,
Chrissy, and Janet.  So now, as an adult, my sense of aesthetics and taste
are a
bizarre mish-mash of all these things.  I like bright vivid colors,
surreal situations, and all that is gitchy.

Even though I'm from a different continent I can relate to much of what
you're describing here, although the end result was somewhat different...
I can definately remember weekend cartoons (Transformers, GI Joe, MASK,
inspector Gadget etc etc), Billy Idol (although Madonna and Duran Duran
went past me... swap them for Simple Minds, Tears for Fears and loads of
(sometimes crappy no-longer-exisiting) dutch bands)

What I find myself drawn to these days is pretty much the opposite, the
"minimalistic" view. Think minimalistic techno&electro music, Mondriaan,
the 20's glass+steel architecture (they called it "new business look" here
in architecture class) Now I still don't know if that love for order,
straight lines and symmetry comes from my LEGO hobby or if it's vice
versa ;)

As for your definition of art : I'd say anything that gives you a certain
emotion could be dubbed art (hence buildings, cars & furniture as art,
although many would disagree) But that's just me, with a bad taste when it
comes to art :D

When you come over to this side of the great pond we'll definately need to
continue this conversation over a beer or two (sorry, BrickFest won't be in
my stars for quite a while)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/