 General / 5084
Re: Very Rare Find: European Dealer Windows Box.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 23:01:05 GMT

About that newspaper... didn't you guys in the US get a Lego
newspaper? Here in Holland every 3 months or so, a new paper
would come out. They featured new sets, but also a story
and unofficial models sent in by readers.

Too bad I threw them all away just before I got out of my dark ages. :(
--
Arjan Brugman

abrugman@casema.net

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in article
<377922C0.705C1412@umich.edu>...
I'm reprinting this article from RTL from Mike Poindexter, as well as my
reply.
Gary Istok

Mike Poindexter wrote:

I was in Switzerland and found a shop where the owner said he had no
Lego.
There were several boxes on a shelf and I asked about them.  They were
15
year old Technic sets still in the boxes.  He said he had just those
and a
little more in the warehouse.  I paid 500 Swiss Francs ($350 US) and
got all
he had except for the model team set and 2 OLD boats that were glued
together.  (They had CLEAR macaroni!)

I got a town plan board, along with the original dealer box of classic
doors
and windows that had about 140 of them still in it.  LOTS of 2x3 and
2x6
windows, mostly in red and a few white.

I also got all of his dealer documentation from 1969 and on to about
1985 or
so.  (In French, so I can't read much).  They even had a Lego News
newspaper!

It is amazing that they had been in that shop for 30 years and still
not
sold out of the windows, which were available individually!

Also, while I was in France, I bought a Fort Legoredo (Called Fort
Willi -
no wonder they still had it!) for $50 US.  It even had a shooting
cannon.
Too bad I couldn't buy the rest of them.  (They had 14, but my luggage
was
full and the wheels broke, so I bore ALL the weight).

If I lived in Europe, I would scour the continent until I found all
the
little shops like this one.  Absolutely awesome stuff!

Mike

Mike,

Congratulations on your rare find of the Dealer Windows & Doors box.

You are now experiencing what I experienced from 1979-92 whenever I
travelled to Germany and Austria (the intoxicating fun of finding rare
old LEGO).

We'll have to compare dealer boxes.

I assume yours is set  "#214  1-10".   (I got 2 of these in 1979 in
Germany).

Is yours made out of cardboard, and a little smaller than a
scrabble/monopoly box?  And is it one of these 2 styles?:

A) Blue border with "SYSTEM IN PLAY" in about 15 different languages and
a picture (yellow background) of KKK and his 2 sisters on top playing
with the 1958 Town Plan board.

or

B) Blue box with a picture of all 10 window & door types (in red) on
top.

Or maybe a 3rd different type perhaps?

These boxes are among the rarest of the rare, as far as old LEGO sets
are concerned, mostly because the boxes were never for sale, only the
contents.   I believe they were in production from the mid 1950's  to
about the mid 1960's.

Great find!!!
Gary Istok