 General / 50734
Re: Lego Buildings with 4 Walls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 05:01:48 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Except for the fact that 4886 uses black 1x4x3 windows (are those
currently being used in anything else?)

Yep, one of the Spiderman sets uses them - 4857.  And it even has black panes for
them.

it looks very much like it
should be a 10xxx set. The 10xxx sets have been very cool, but a lot of
them look like they have been put together from pieces that were
_available_ not necessarily the pieces that the desingers wanted. So, I
agree, somewhat, with your theory. I would also add, however, that more
windows makes the set more expensive.

I'm not going to dispute this, but I do wonder *why* that is.

I doubt a 1x4x3 window has that much more ABS in it than a 2x4.  The only thing I can
think of is maybe they have a high defect ratio on them, from mold slump (if you've
seen 1/16 bricks in sets these days, and many other bricks, you've seen mold slump -
TLG isn't keeping them in the molds long enough anymore)/warpage, due to no internal
support structure possible on the window sides.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/