 General / 50632
50631  |  50633
Subject:
Introductions and News
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.lego.announce, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:01:30 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

All, my colleague Jeff James has had some problems posting to LUGNET and asked me to forward this note along:

===

Hi All!

This is my first post on LUGNET, so a quick introduction may be in order.

I’ve been at the LEGO Group for a bit over 7 years, and I currently work as part of the LEGO Community Development team with my colleague Jake McKee. I’m based out of our Enfield office, and my primary areas of responsibility include working on the LEGO Club and LEGO BrickMaster magazines, collaborating with FIRST on the Junior FIRST LEGO League pilot experience, and also working with AFOLs in the New England area (i.e., the Millyard Project and other events).

With introductions out of the way, on to the main reason for my post! We’d like to announce some upcoming activities that may be of interest to those of you in the Atlanta area. All of these events and activities will be taking place at the upcoming FIRST Championship / FLL World Festival being held later this week at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia from April 21-23. The Championship is open to the public, and admission is free.

Here are some of the things we have planned:

Early Exclusive Availability of the Ocean Odyssey Designer Set (#4888)

LEGO Brand Retail will be selling the new Ocean Odyssey designer set (#4888) at their booth at the show, with a proceed of sales for that set going to support FIRST. Only a few hundred units of the set will be available, and only at this venue. (Incidentally, the planned official launch of that set is in August 2005.) The LBR booth will also be selling an assortment of LEGO products -- including a custom event T-shirt -- as well. The LEGO Brand Retail booth will be located next to the FLL pit area in the Georgia World Congress center. You can view a list of product offered at the store location here: http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sitemod/upload/Root/America/LEGOstore.pdf

Junior FIRST LEGO League Experience Display

The Junior FIRST LEGO League (JFLL) experience was pilot tested last year, and we’re continuing the pilot -- in partnership with FIRST -- into 2005. JFLL introduces 6-9 year olds to the wonders and excitement of science and engineering, with teams of students and an adult mentor completing a mini-challenge based on the year’s FLL Challenge theme. Children spend about a month exploring, designing, and building a LEGO model, and then the JFLL season culminates with a celebration held in conjunction with a FLL tournament. The JFLL display area is also located next to the FLL pit area in the Georgia World Congress center.

Displays by DixieLUG and the North Georgia LEGO Train Club (NGLTC)

On Saturday morning there will also be LEGO model exhibits and layouts presented by both DixieLUG and NGLTC, and will be located in the foyer -- next to concessions -- just outside the FLL pit area. Some of the attractions (descriptions courtesy James Trobaugh) will include:
  • The first public showing of the Cincinnati Union Terminal project, a minifig scale version of the famous Cincinnati Union Terminal, with a foot print of 12’x10’. The CUT is being built in conjunction with the ILTCO display at the NMRA National Convention in Cincinnati this July.

  • The world famous Rail Racers, Drag Racing LEGO trains. Here the visitors will be able to try there hand at head to head racing of some of the fastest LEGO trains in the world http://www.railracers.com

  • Mark Staffa’s award winning fair ground models. Mark’s operating fair rides where a huge hit at Brickfest 2004 and will be on display for the public to view.

  • DixieLUG will be presenting a Moonbase display based on the popular AFOL moonbase standards.
LEGO Educational Division (LED)

Our colleagues from LED will also be on hand to demonstrate some educational LEGO products, as well as to answer questions regarding LED product at the event.

Find more information about the the FLL World Festival here: http://www.firstlegoleague.org/default.aspx?pid=13390

I’ll be near the JFLL table and/or the LEGO Brand Retail booth on Thursday and Friday, and will likely be next to the NGLTC and DixieLUG displays on Saturday. Stop by and say hello!

Jeff

Jeff James :: Editorial Director :: LEGO Community Development