 General / 50349
Re: No Lego Window System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:56:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz wrote:
Gary Istok wrote:
Why am I doing this?  Because today windows are the weakest link in
the Lego System.  Ask yourself this question:  Can I build my own
house with the current selection of Lego windows so that it ACTUALLY
looks like my house?  I think that the answer to this question for
99% of you is NO.  For TLG, that should be an embarrassment,
especially since they pride themselves on being the worlds greatest
building toy.

Of course my house will never be buildable in minifig scale unless LEGO
comes out with a special part. The arched window in this picture:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/ffilz/NewHome/4061222-1.jpg

Would be impossible to render. It might not even be easy to render in a
larger scale.

Of course I'd also have to use the 45 degree slopes for the complex roof, or
get really creative with plates.

Frank

One area of interest in Lego windows that has come to my attention was the use
of decals.  There have been some some interesting decals used with the 1x4x5
windows.  Bank windows, sheriff's office windows, etc. have come out lately.
The most sophisticated yet has been the Spider Man's Doc Ock's Hideout windows
with some really nice "18 over 18" mullioned windows.  Creating different decals
for existing windows is a low cost way for TLG to give us at least some relief
from the "window blah's".

For example the 1x2x2 windows.  TLG could come out with 3 different decals for
that small one.  These would be the equivalent of 1) two 1x1x2 windows, 2) two
1x2x1 windows, and 3) four 1x1x1 windows --- stacked in a "2x2" configuration.

The 1x4x3 windows (with glass panes) could have at least 1/2 dozen different
decals as well, including 1) "4 over 4", 2) "6 over 6", 3) "9 over 9", 4) a
single horizontal window divider, 5) a single vertical window divider, 6) a
single horizontal and vertical divider.

TLG could even come out with special decal sheets with different designs, so
that unique customized window patterns could be made by mixing different cut
patterns from the same sticker sheet onto different parts of the same window.
Of course, these sticker sheets would have to be mostly in red and white, the
common window colors.

Now if we could just get the 2x2 arched top castle windows with a "glass"
insert.  Then with some window sticker sheet parts put together, even Frank Filz
could recreate his homes Palladian arched window.

Gary Istok