 General / 50239
  (canceled)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) This is true, but there are some words that many people find offensive and/or don't want their kids to see. But I don't think the issue here is about naughty words. I think the issue here is with the Orwellian mode of enforcement. I'd prefer (...) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) By what standard do you create this list? See this post for reference: (URL) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) I'd prefer to (...) This is exactly why Lugnet has not published a list of no-no words. But really, is there anyone here who doesn't know that f**k is a bad word? I think the only two words that would get you an email from an admin are f**k (...) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Perhaps some folks would rather be explicitely controlled than to be scolded. I think it is partially a psychological expression. One the one hand "we don't put up with this here and we do whatever is necessary *immediately* to modify (...) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Well, I'm pretty sure LUGNET isn't draconian; at least, I'm fairly certain that admins aren't running around lopping lugnetter fingers off for violating the ToS. However, I'd definitely describe the system (as put forth by Lar in his email to (...) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote: **SNIP of some good stuff illustrating why it's kind** **of silly to decry LUGNET as an "Orwellian" entity** (...) Just a minor point--I don't believe that Richard ever publicly declared a belief that the (...) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) You missed the point of my post Lenny. I contend that not everyone thinks that the word you mentioned above is "bad" in every context. There shouldn't be a silver bullet policy that put you into "bad" territory just for writing a word. In (...) (19 years ago, 1-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)