 General / 49887
Re: help/tip for building strange forms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 06:49:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
   I have seen some pictures on Brickshelf of buildings with strange formed roofs or strange shaped walls like this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1040008 http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1040010

And I want to build a model of a building from my hometown that also have a strange formed roof. You can see some picture of it here: http://gallery.wert.no/album76/2004_06_30_0022 Here you see only the roof. The building was earlier containing a cinema and the walls was round and made of concret. The new building will use the old roof, and the walls will have the same form but this time it will be made of mostly glass and steel in the same style as the building you see in the background on that picture.

How do I start with this? I can see diffrent building technincs, one is using normal bricks like the sydney operahouse in one of the links above, the other one is using plates. But this roof is more shaped like four of the roofs on the Sydney operahouse pointed in diffrent directions.

Is there any program that I can feed in the shapes and make a building instructions? Or is the best way to just start with the groundfloor and build it up and find the shape as I build?

Regards Øyvind Steinnes http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix

That is some retro-licious roof you got there. The only program I know of for things like this is Erik Olson’s spheroid generator. You could probably get some decent shapes by playing with that and plaster them together in LDraw.

I hope you have a LOT of small plates in the same color for this project! Unless you want to make a low, flat ceiling in the building, copious amounts of plates will be your best bet. Is this going to be a “town”-themed building, or possibly a moonbase module? Either way, it will be a fine day for retro. Hooray!

I’m thinking of doing something similar. At my local LEGO Outlet Store, I bought a couple bags of blue 2x2 corner plates, and now I have hundreds! But how should I use them...?

Kevin