 General / 49749
Re: Samsonite LEGO in 1960s SEARS catalogs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 01:46:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

   One thing I forgot. Allan, you grew up with Samsonite in Canada. Well you had more time to get Samsonite sets than USA folks. Samsonite Lego was sold in the USA from 1961 to 1972. In Canada Samsonite had a longer run, since it was sold there from 1962 until 1986. TLG must have had a court fight to get the Lego license back from USA Samsonite, since the 1971-72 Lego set selection was appalling! In Canada things went much smoother, since the 1986 transfer seemed to be realtively uneventful (Lego set wise).

Do these help explain the difference in the anniversary buckets and tubs that were available in 1998? Ours here in Canada were to celebrate the 35th anniversary. But I think the ones in the U.S. were silver anniversary markers, is that right? Hence the silver bricks included in them?

Also... here’s another Samsonite question for you Gary. :)

Some of my Samsonite LEGO boxes have the ‘Made in Canada’ label printed right on the box, while others have a sticker that covers whatever was underneath. In those cases the sticker has the ‘Made in Canada - Stratford, ON’ information. I wonder if this is just a case where some of the box printing was done either in the U.S. or overseas and perhaps just sent here.

Looking forward to seeing the CD Gary... maybe all these questions are already answered in there. :)

Best regards,
Allan B.