 General / 49563
Re: New higher resolution scans of 238 LEGO Idea Book No. 1 (Netherlands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:56:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Eric Strand wrote:

It looks exactly like my Swedish one
(http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/ideabook/index.htm), except that yours
is in Dutch, and complete! Would you mind if I grabbed copies of the pages
I'm missing (for personal use, only)?

I think there is/was a German one from '62 somewhere out there on the 'net
too, and in that version there are wheels. Searching...

It was on http://home.t-online.de/home/tomslego/before1968.htm but not even
www.waybackmachine.org has the pictures anymore. Oh, well...

It is 100% OK to grab the images from their new home:
<http://home.comcast.net/~strandee/238/>

I absolutely love this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~strandee/238/30_page_30.htm

Is that an adult building with LEGO bricks?  It sure looks like it.  :)

I know some of the images may be a bit dated (especially the one of the guy with
the pipe in his mouth) but these have a tremendous amount of charm to them.  And
when I look at pictures of this vintage I always wonder why the 2x2 macaroni
brick and the 4x4 elbow brick are so much less common today than they were 30 -
35 years ago.

Would a photograph of pages of the booklet be acceptable (as opposed to scans)?

Every page?  Or just a few pages?

And while we are at it, does anyone know how long copyrights are good for?

This may give you some answers:

http://www.copyright.gov/

Though keep in mind that copyright laws can differ from country to country and
depending on which countries have entered into bilateral agreements.

Are these 40-50 year old items still protected under copyright laws?

This will answer some of that question:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration

But because they predate the 1977 changes, the real answer is, "it depends."
See that link for more.  Also keep in mind this is all info is related to U.S.
copyright laws.

Are website posted photographs (as opposed to scans) of Lego items a legal
loophole to get around material that still is copyrighted?

Do you mean a photo that you yourself took of an actual LEGO item?  If so, then
I believe the answer is kind of 'yes'.  In other words, it's like taking a
picture of a Coke can to use in a book or essay.  It's just a limited use of
original material that you created (the photo).

Imagine a fellow was writing a book on the history of LEGO products. Could he
include photos taken by himself, of LEGO sets and/or individual bricks?  I
believe the answer is, 'yes'.  Can he reprint photos of LEGO products that he
found on the LEGO website?  'No'. Not without permission.  Is that the
distinction you are trying to sort out?

A very curious
Gary Istok

Curiousity is not such a bad thing.  :)