 General / 49266

Subject:
Another questionable decision from lego...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:44:40 GMT

I just read one of the news articles on the Newgrounds website (place
where people upload Flash and stop-motion animations) that said they had
to delete over 100 Lego stop-motion animations because it was demanded
by Lego's lawyers.  The origional news post:

"There was some bad news this past week... Despite there being national
festivals for Lego movies, Lego didn't seem to appreciate the work by
fans here on Newgrounds. I had a nasty confrontation with their lawyers,
who wanted the Lego stuff removed.

A lot of times I fight this stuff, but in this case * it... If Lego
doesn't appreciate their fans, then I don't want to promote their toys
anyway. I was a Constructs kid myself. So I deleted over 100 Lego
submissions. I did regret it afterwards, but now it's done. We had some
really great submissions, and rarely were they crude in nature."

Does anybody at Lego have any explanation for this, or was this another
"nobody will notice" thing?

--
Markham Carroll

Re: Another questionable decision from lego...
In lugnet.general, Markham Carroll wrote:
[...]

Well not knowing any details, I'd suggest they probably asked for the word LEGO
to be removed from the animations, and because that was too difficult the Tom
guy probably decided to delete them instead. I've never heard of TLC asking
people to remove pictures of movies containing actual bricks, just their trade
name. But I'm just guessing.

And Tom is conspicuous by his absence in the thread on newgrounds.

ROSCO

[...]

NOTE: This is not an official LEGO response (see the email addy I used), so all
that disclaimer type stuff applies.

Also, this is not based on anything but my own observations and not official
LEGO policy.

It took me about ten seconds to see a big reason to issue a removal order for
that website.  Right on the main page under "NG Features" is a section for
mature content.  That, in my own opinion, is enough for LEGO to not want their
product associated with the site, free advertising or not.  Not to mention the
graphic (although cartoon) violence and political messages I saw in browsing
just a few of their flash features.

Remembering the LEGO values, I see this on the main page, as the "Featured iFilm
Video":

"CARMEN ELECTRA - Carmen Electra and her team of sexy Playmate cheerleaders
bump, grind and get nasty to a dirty song!"

Personally, I wouldn't want any association between this site and myself if I
made a children's toy.

-Brian

Once again, these statements and opinions are my own, not The LEGO Company's.

Re: Another questionable decision from lego...