 General / 48699
48698  |  48700
Subject:
Errors in Lugnet Set Database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:34:13 GMT

Is there a procedure in place in LUGNET for notification of set errors in the
LUGNET database?  Is there one for adding old sets not currently in the
database?

I was browsing some old 50's and 60's sets, and came across some errors:

1) 810 European Town Plan.  The text says it is a wooden box set, but the 810 is
the set underneath the wooden box set in the picture.  It is made of cardboard.
The wooden box set on top of the 810 appears to be an institutional set that
comes in 3 varieties (probably based on childrens ages) and that wooden box set
comes in 3 Roman numeral set numbers, "I", "II" and "III". This is I believe the
first and possibly only time Lego set numbers were used as Roman numerals.  I
discuss these and other wooden box sets in my upcoming CD on Lego History.  An
entire chapter is devoted to the wooden box sets (Europe only) that were
produced between 1957 and 1978.

Also, there are 2 different versions of the 810 European Town Plan set.  One was
for continental Europe (shown in the picture).  The other set is the British 810
Town Plan set.  It has a Town Plan board with a different layout (for driving on
the left side of the road?), and has the unique British gas pumps for the Esso
Station.

2) 708 USA/Canada Samsonite Basic Set.  The set pictured is from a photograph.
However, the box partitions are not original to this set.  They are plastic bins
from 1966-70 Samsonite basic sets, not this 1961-65 set.  It appears that there
are way too many bricks in this set.  Plus the set should have only red and
white bricks, and no wheels.  The 708, 711 and early (flat box version) 705 sets
have a cardboard insert that all brick sit on top of in sort of a mosaic
checkerboard pattern with 10x20 thick baseplates inside as well.  This is the
same flat box checkerboard design used in the European 700 series of basic sets
(700/0, 700/1, 700/3, 700/3a, 700/4, 700/5, 700/6).

Gary Istok