 General / 48702
Re: Errors in Lugnet Set Database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:19:09 GMT

"Gary Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:I2K3t1.MGw@lugnet.com...
Is there a procedure in place in LUGNET for notification of set errors in • the
LUGNET database?  Is there one for adding old sets not currently in the
database?

Post in lugnet.admin.database

I was browsing some old 50's and 60's sets, and came across some errors:

1) 810 European Town Plan.  The text says it is a wooden box set, but the • 810 is
the set underneath the wooden box set in the picture.  It is made of • cardboard.
The wooden box set on top of the 810 appears to be an institutional set • that
comes in 3 varieties (probably based on childrens ages) and that wooden • box set
comes in 3 Roman numeral set numbers, "I", "II" and "III". This is I • believe the
first and possibly only time Lego set numbers were used as Roman numerals. • I
discuss these and other wooden box sets in my upcoming CD on Lego History. • An
entire chapter is devoted to the wooden box sets (Europe only) that were
produced between 1957 and 1978.

Also, there are 2 different versions of the 810 European Town Plan set. • One was
for continental Europe (shown in the picture).  The other set is the • British 810
Town Plan set.  It has a Town Plan board with a different layout (for • driving on
the left side of the road?), and has the unique British gas pumps for the • Esso
Station.

2) 708 USA/Canada Samsonite Basic Set.  The set pictured is from a • photograph.
However, the box partitions are not original to this set.  They are • plastic bins
from 1966-70 Samsonite basic sets, not this 1961-65 set.  It appears that • there
are way too many bricks in this set.  Plus the set should have only red • and
white bricks, and no wheels.  The 708, 711 and early (flat box version) • 705 sets
have a cardboard insert that all brick sit on top of in sort of a mosaic
checkerboard pattern with 10x20 thick baseplates inside as well.  This is • the
same flat box checkerboard design used in the European 700 series of basic • sets
(700/0, 700/1, 700/3, 700/3a, 700/4, 700/5, 700/6).

Gary Istok

XFUT: lugnet.admin.database

Frank