 General / 48582
Re: A first step
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
I also have a two and a half year old that started on the little Lego much
younger. In fact, he's not really interested in the Duplo unless the older boy
is playing with it.

That worries me a little too - that because she doesn't see me enjoying Duplo,
that she will want to try the "little bricks" too early and then get frustrated.

I have my 2xn bricks in an open tub under the Lego desk.
When myself and the older by are building he sits at my feet throwing bricks
together more or less at random. It was a proud day when he announced he's built
an aeroplane, and lo and behold, the object in his hands actually resembled an
aeroplane.

I wonder what my daughter's first MOC will be. Brought up with 70's feminism and
20thC sociology, my wife and I, and our friends, are amazed at how early the
gender differences come out and how inbuilt they seem to be. Our daughter loves
dolls and shows a little interest in cars, but the opposite is the case with our
friends' son.

As a kid I always wanted to build planes, ships, spaceships when by myself and
collaborated with my younger sister on houses. I always thought the blocky
animals and people illustrated on the Basic boxes were kinda stupid, but maybe
they are for girls.

The hardest thing to do, I've found, is to put aside any ideas of what or how I
want to build, and build what he wants to build. That, and keeping his attention
focused long enough to finish what he starts, which is why I try do try to steer
him away from building anything too large for now.

Sounds like wise advice. Thanks!

So, on the colour change his response was 'why did they do that?' closely
followed by 'they won't match with the pieces we have.'

:-) You HAD to raise that issue! Your gonna get us banished to .color if you
keep THAT up.....