 General / 48097
Re: Modified Lego and new uses for old pieces.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:11:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

I am just glad that I had so many classic doors that were already damaged, I
didn't have to make this ethical decision for myself.  But I do use these broken
"doors" as windows in many of my Lego buildings.

Modifying broken parts, which would otherwise stay useless, makes them useable
again is something I've done, too.
I've had a few 1x1 plates with lightclip where the lightclip broke off. The
plates could be reused as normal 1x1 plates, the broken of lightclips became
very useful snot-converters (studs on both sides). I have never broke such
pieces on purpose, though.

I was looking for some more examples, but they won't show up in my memory now.

Niels

I've done this with universal joints.  The axle holders have a tendency to
split, so I used some of the split ones to make shorter universal joints, for a
Shay steam engine.

I also cut up bent long technic axles to make shorter axles, of lengths 1, 1.5,
2.5 and 3.5 studs, often for steam trains.

On connector pegs with axle that have lost connector peg grip I shave off the
connector peg altogether to leave 1 stud of axle with a bezel.  Many
applications in steam engine connecting rods - shorter pegs are needed to fit in
thinner spaces, but they are not yet made by TLG.

On half bushes with crennellations (to fit with old style toggle joints) that
have lost some of them, I shave them all off to make a thinner bush.
Application: improves clearance of pulleys on small steam engines.

By modifying an already broken piece you have nothing to lose.  It's worth
keeping parts that break - every one is an opportunity to push out the limits!

I was encouraged to modify parts by the people at Lego Futura, when I went over
there a few years ago.

Please let the lugnet.parts newsgroup be created for these interesting
discussions!

Mark