 General / 48049
Re: New Quatro bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.quatro, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:39:09 GMT

In lugnet.quatro, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.quatro, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
In fact, the plastic is so soft, that the bricks have very little gripping
power. That may be good for little hands to seperate them, but any average
developed butterfly can get two bricks to seperate by a flick of its wing.

They were made out of a softer plastic for three basic reasons, according to my
Toy Fair showroom guide:

no sharp edges (imagine a
little kid falling on a pile of them if they were hard ABS!),

I have these bricks, and I can say a kid is going to get hurt on them if they
fall on them - sharp edges or not they will still do damage.

I think the only bricks Lego has made that will not hurt if you fall onto them
is the soft bricks they once made (and charged wayyyyyy too much for). I have
the soft bricks as well - and they are a soft yet strong material.

And as far as the 'gripping power' You know how much it sucks for a small kid to
build something BIG (I have 2 of the large quatro buckets, 150 bricks total) and
then they try to move it - only to have it fall aprat. The kids are heartbroken
that their MOC is now a pile of bricks. I have had to calm down my kids many
times after they tried to move thier creations.

And as far as connecting them to other size bricks, or using them for support --
do not even think about it. You can only attach 1x1 duplo bricks to the top of
the quatro bricks - 2x4's and larger bricks will not attach at all to the top.
You can attach duplo to the bottom of the quatro - but they do not attach very
well, so that is out as well. As far as connecting system bricks to them - not
going to happen.

But despite all that my kids like them. We first got one large bucket and they
did nothing but fight over it (we made the mistake of letting our son hold the
bucket while were at LL - so he thought they were 'his'). So we got another
large bucket and they really do like to build with them, but they still play
with their duplo much more (my kids are 2 and 3 currently).

Mark P
LoB