 General / 4702
Re: missing pieces for Lego 6385 Please help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:17:50 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Ruth Wright wrote:

Hi This is my first time posting on the newsgroup

Hi, and welcome!

so please be patient and let me know if I have done something wrong.

Well, tis a minor point, but it's better to use multiple group entries
on a single post  instead of the same or similar posts posted one time
to each group. Keeps the threads together better.

The pieces are   -  2 clear garage door parts.
                   -  1 blue 1 x 4 x 3 window with window pane.

One thing Steve didn't mention is that if you can identify the most
recent set that has the pieces you want, it seems to increase the
probability that Consumer Affairs will have the part. I've noticed that
sometimes when you say "a set from 1985" they pretty much assume they
don't have it.

So go to http://www.kl.net/scans and see if you can find a recent set
that has the part ... or since this is a fire station, see if some of
the fireheads here (and there are a bunch) post of a more recent set
that has these. Fire stations have more garage doors than all non fire
station sets put together.

Once you've identified the set, locate the page number, step number, in
the instructions where the part first appears. Then call CA and give
them that info. They basically look up the set in a big book, then look
up the instruction step with you, and decode a part number which they
then use to look in their DB to see if they have any.

I've recently bought several sets in auctions which were missing a bunch
of pieces (including mini-figs). I have heard some people mailed a
letter to consumer affairs, while others use the phone. What wisdom do
folks have for trying to get the parts replaced?

I will tell them that the sets were bought used and identified as not
being complete (or unknown completeness).

Is it worth asking for minor pieces which are replaceable from my own
stock?

Has anyone had any luck getting mini-figs replaced? One of the sets is
6280 Armada Flagship so there is at least a prayer there, the other is
6274 Carribean Clipper.

With the Carribean Clipper, am I best off identifying the parts using a
more recent set (everything missing should be reasonably available).

Also, I seem to remember calling Consumer Affairs with an 800 number,
but all I can find is a non-800 number, am I dreaming?

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com