 General / 46735
Re: Question from a beginner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:36:28 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Anthony Sava wrote:

I have a MOC in mind in which I'd like to use my motor.
But I also want a few lights in my display.  After all, being a medieval builder
I'd like some fireplaces to light up.  I've been told by a friend that it is
possible to daisy chain light bricks, even motors, so I'm hoping that my one
battery box will be sufficiant.

So on to my question:

How many light bricks can I add to my MOC, using the 2838 9v Motor and 2847 9v
Battery Box before I see a signifigant drop in performance or hurt my electric
parts?

Anthony,

Nice, clear question.

You won't hurt your electric parts by running too little voltage through them.

As you add lights, existing lights will get dimmer, the motor will run slower,
and the batteries will not last as long.

You MAY hurt the motor, if you run a very small voltage (not enough to turn it)
through it for a while.  But I doubt it.

On good batteries, I'm sure you could light 3 or 4 lights, in addition to
running the motor.  I don't know how long, but I'd GUESS it would work for a
couple hours.

If you want to light and run the display for a long time (all day) you may want
to look into an AC source.

Steve

Hey,

  You are right, having more lights will slow the motor and dim the lights.  But
if you think about it, he want's to make fireplaces and I think dim lights (if
not too dim) would work fine.

  Yeh, an AC source is almost always a must in this situation so that you are
not ruining the motor under low power.

Build Well
Erik Bush