 General / 46730
46729  |  46731
Subject:
Question from a beginner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:18:35 GMT

I have a question to all you technic gurus out there.  I've looked around Lugnet
for a good half hour or so without any luck, but maybe I'm not looking in the
right places.

In any case, I decided to just come out and ask the question, after all I'm a
subscriber to the idea that there is no such thing as a stupid question.  I hope
you guys would be so kind as to help me out.

So...

I've messed with technic before, I've built simple and intermediate joints for
mecha like creations, but I've never done anything truly motorized before.  And
recently at the last TexLUG meeting, I was extremely fortunate to get myself my
first battery box, lead and motor (thanks much, Pat!)

So I guess I should be specific to what I now have:
2847 9v Battery Box
2838 9v Motor
9v Connecting lead of quite some length

I have a MOC in mind in which I'd like to use my motor.  It's nothing special,
just a simple display MOC, a rotating dispaly, so there won't be too much load
on the motor.  I do realize that the 2838 9v Motor has a huge amount of RPM, so
I'll have to gear it down to turn the display, which is meant to be slow moving.

But I also want a few lights in my display.  After all, being a medieval builder
I'd like some fireplaces to light up.  I've been told by a friend that it is
possible to daisy chain light bricks, even motors, so I'm hoping that my one
battery box will be sufficiant.

So on to my question:

How many light bricks can I add to my MOC, using the 2838 9v Motor and 2847 9v
Battery Box before I see a signifigant drop in performance or hurt my electric
parts?

I'm not looking to light up a city block here, but my MOC will require a minimum
of two light bricks, and I was hoping to tack on a third.

So to clarify:  Is it possible/safe to attach three light bricks and one 9v
motor to a 9v battery box?

Thanks much in advance!  I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already
been answered somewhere.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how I'm going to raise the money to buy my
light bricks and leads (and another battery box if I have to)

--Anthony