 General / 45556
  Virus Alert: Netsky.B spread by lugnet's mail service!

I have recieved two copies of the new netsky.b virus: From: po@lugnet.com Subject: unknown and From: 4w@lugnet.com Subject: read it immediately Both with a very small zipped viral attachment. (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  RE: Virus Alert: Netsky.B spread by lugnet's mail service!

What is happening is the virus is picking an address you'd trust, it's not really coming from lugnet. I have to keep trying to explain this at work to the users when it happens :) (at least with some of the current virii that are out there right (...) (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Virus Alert: Netsky.B spread by lugnet's mail service!

(...) In this case, I really doubt that. (...) Of course I know that, but the virus has been known by Symantec for less than three hours when it hit my mailbox. And the update from Symantec arrived just a couple of minutes ago... :( I had to clean (...) (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Virus Alert: Netsky.B spread by lugnet's mail service!

(...) Well, the definitive answer would be to post the email headers (not the virii and/or any attachments) and lets see where it came from. If you don't want to post them, then email the headers to me and I'll have a look (since my email comes in (...) (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Virus Alert: Netsky.B spread by lugnet's mail service!

"Ray Sanders" <rsanders@svic.net> wrote in message news:HtAo1y.23MB@lugnet.com... (...) virii (...) to (...) email (...) When I receive mail like that (with fake "from"), I compare the headers from old letters in my mailbox with the one containing (...) (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Digitally Signed Email

This is just the kind of email spoofing that makes digital signatures a good idea. Nowadays about 95% of email clients across a variety of OS's support S/MIME digital signatures. Verisign sells them for a yearly fee - but there are at least two (...) (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Virus Alert: Netsky.B spread by lugnet's mail service!

You could use Digital Rights Management on your emails and set them to self-destruct after a certain time. :) Or you could encrypt your emails to that person - then anyone accessing them (viruses included) would need to enter the password to open (...) (21 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digitally Signed Email

(...) Or simply SPF. (URL) No encryption needed, and it happens automagically behind the scenes. (...) Or, GPG signatures are *entirely* free. Any decent mail client should support that. (21 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Digitally Signed Email

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.debate "Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message news:slrnc385ha.8ka.....bu.edu... (...) good (...) It's a little silly to say "Simply have all users convince their ISP to change their email infrastructure". I'll (...) (21 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)