 General / 45198
  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) I've had mixed feelings about this, but now I am prepared to welcome the changes. While I love yellow minifigs, I believe having the chance to see skin-toned figures will enhance the realism of the LEGO line. -Tim (20 years ago, 2-Feb-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) I question the need to "enhance" the realism. The Lego world is its *own* very special and unique realism. Changing the minifigs to be more like exact models of the real world rather than abstract (and well-recognized!) representations is a (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) What if it meant more sales and wider appeal? (...) But TLC is already moving in that direction! Take facial expressions on the minifigs. I think these enhance playability (and apparently so does TLC) over a ubiquitous classic smiley. You are (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) You mean that if there is a competitor with minifigs being 'more human', children would choose it just for that? In such case everybody would play with Ken & Barbie (pun intended). (...) Oh my. The grins (you call that 'facial expression') are (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) I think that's unlikely. It certainly *decrease* the appeal to me. That's obviously a small sample size, but I've been right before. :) (...) Possibly. I don't mind the not-exact-classic-smiley faces, but I *do* prefer the ones that are more (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) Out of curiosity, does anyone suppose that TLG's decision to move toward flesh tones might have been, at least in part, motivated by the fact that successful competitor brands have been marketing flesh-toned figures for years? This, coupled (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) Well, I would assume this-- what else would motivate change? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" (and, of course, it's cheaper to do nothing), and perhaps the concept of all yellow figs isn't necessarily "broke", but perhaps profits are. Perhaps (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) Oops--my cynicism is showing, alas. All too often, it seems, corporations like to pretend that their biggest changes are entirely driven by internal decisions made in a vacuum; they seldom if ever acknowledge that a competitor's practices are (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

(...) Even the hardcore Star Wars LEGO fans are undecided about the Lando fig being "realistic" and not yellow. I like like the fact that minifigs are free of race and any move to change that only hurts the brand. LEGO has lost their focus. They can (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)

I have followed this thread and now I want to add my thoughts, for what they are worth. I really like yellow. When I think of a minifig I think of a yellow face. I have, however, been quick to accept the new facial expressions and choose those above (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)