 General / 45169
Re: Another new colour in set 8385?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 03:43:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
However, if they can figure out a way to fix this problem so that the
metallic texture is always uniform, then I'd love to see more of it!

     There is no cost-efficient way to do it.  When dealing with solid particle
coloring agents instead of dyes, the particles reorient with the flow pattern,
which is where you get the dark banding from.  The only way I can think of to
get rid of it would be to pre-heat the mold to the same temp as the plastic and
use some sort of mold-movment (vibration/rotation/ the flow patterns out before
allowing the plastic to cool down.  With long-run injection molding, you need to
cool the parts as fast as possible and eject them as hot as you can get away
with to maximize your profit margins.  Coddling the parts like that just to get
rid of the mold pattern would make the parts too expensive for toys.