 General / 44722
Re: Master Builder contest experiences...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 04:17:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremiah VanderMark wrote:
   What with the prelims being over now, and the proliferation of Lugnetters on the list, I thought it would be kinda cool for the finalists to share their experiences. • snip So. Anyone else want to share?

OK--I went to the Vegas comp and it was awesome. Even if I hadn’t made the cut, it would have been worth the 400 mile motorcycle ride!

I showed up and had fun just checking out the models that Lego brought with them--Dan and I talked about the Miniland H2s for a bit (despite my feelings about the H2 itself, their models were spectacular).

After about fifteen minutes of playing at the loose brick table, they brought me (and one other fellow) to the competition room. Dan sat us down at a table, gave each of us our bucket of 2000 bricks, and told us that our theme was Las Vegas and that we had 45 minutes. He asked us if we were ready, then he said to start. There were other people in the room already deep into their time, some laughing, some really serious, all building.

Well, I have to admit, my mind was blank. I sat there staring at my pile of bricks, while the guy next to me started to frantically build.

After about two minutes, I realized that I needed to just build the thing that brings me to Vegas every couple of months--gambling. While I avoid the slots in real life--preferring craps and blackjack--I figured that a slot machine would fit the bill. So off I went.

Well, next thing I knew, Dan was telling us we had five minutes left, and I was nowhere near where I wanted to be! Yikes! That time just flew by...

Anyway, I was able to cobble something together in time (though I didn’t get to finish the stool) and when Dan was looking at it afterwards, he actually broke one of the reels! I think the fact that I laughed about that (instead of freaking out) helped me a bit--since I could have snapped that little dude in two! ;P

So they asked me to stick around, and after a few minutes, a fellow took me into another room and interviewed me. His first question was whether I’d actually take the job, since my pay would be more than cut in half from my current job. I told him that it would be a tough decision, but that truthfully, I probably wouldn’t be able to take it. He said that was cool, and that if I was offered the job, I could always turn it down. I told him that I didn’t think that was going to be a problem (as in, there’s no way that I’m going to win this thing).

I can safely say that I’m one of the least-talented finalists. Here’s my slot machine to prove my point:

http://www.legomasterbuilder.com/images/event/vegas2.jpg

Regardless, I can’t wait to see everyone in Carlsbad. I’ll probably ride my bike down there on the evening of the 21st (Wed) and stay at my brother’s place--he lives in San Diego--before the competition on the 22nd and 23rd. I’ll also be inclined to stay down there for the weekend, so if any of you LUGNET finalists want to hang out while we’re there, let me know.

And if there’s some sort of “Survivor” thing, all of us lugnetters can band together and vote off the non-lugnet finalists.

Derek