 General / 44702
Re: Master Builder contest experiences...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:25:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremiah VanderMark wrote:
   What with the prelims being over now, and the proliferation of Lugnetters on the list, I thought it would be kinda cool for the finalists to share their experiences.

At first I was very nervous, and then I wasn’t called for my time slot at 10am. I waited through a couple of building sessions- talking to Dan and the other applicants, and building like crazy in the practice area. I finally asked when I would be called to build. The LL employees straightened it all out. So about 1:30pm I finally got to build.

I too experienced the adrenaline-burst building phenomenon. I had to keep building out of guilt- so I didn’t make the other builders that much more nervous. Hence the lion and the cat.

The two biggest contributors to my experience being a good one were my friends Jim Foulds and Christina Hitchcock, who came by just to watch and cheer me on. It was good to have friends there to talk to before and after.

In the end, I’m really glad that I had to wait so long. I was calmer and more comfortable with my surroundings. I got to talk to Dan several times for long conversations, I met several of the other employees and most of the DC applicants.

It was fortunate that Jim, not me was driving when they called me to invite me to LEGOLAND in Carlsbad. I was amazed at the speed at which they made decisions.

The biggest surprise was being asked to appear on CNN. First on the Friday after the build-off with the other two DC finalist, and again on the following Monday morning for an early Headline News byte. Sitting in a news studio alone with a remote-controlled camera and talking to voice from Atlanta in my ear was a very very strange experience.

I cannot wait for the final build-off. I’m excited to see LEGOLAND- it will be my first time to go. It will be great to meet the Master Builders and the other finalists. The best thing is that my wife, Megan and Jim and Maelee are going with me. I am so grateful to have friends and family that support me and hope it happens.

See you in Carlsbad!

Aaron Sneary