 General / 44372
44371  |  44373
Subject:
Chat with Kate & Jake
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:51:25 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello,

On www.1000steine.de, we had a Chat session this evening with Kate and Jake from
LEGO Direct. First I have to say a huge "Thank you", since both ventured to chat
with one of the most critical communities in the world - with the griping
Germans :-)

Of course, we didn't got any insider information but we had a lot of fun and it
was important to many german AFOLs to get information in cold print from an
official source.

So here is the main conversation with all relevant questions and answers.

Regards, René
www.1000steine.de
www.creativity-contest.net

Hümpfch: Wann macht ihr wieder richtige graue Steine?

treczoks: Warum Megablocks-Grau statt LEGO-Grau?

Jake: First off, it's not matching Mega :) We formulated new colors for light
gray, dark gray and brown. (and some of the other pastel colors, but not
anything major). Now, let me also say: I understand that the gray and dark gray
are big colors. If you talk to color theorists, designers, etc. they talk about
colors being on a certain "spectrum"... that all colors are in line with each
other. the dark gray, light gray and brown weren't in line. they also weren't as
"vivid" as people expect LEGO colors to be in line with the other colors in the
lego color palette.
actually light gray has changed quite a bit in 30 years, just not quite as much
at one time as now. From the testing (from what I've been told) the children we
tested with like the new colors better. The idea is that we are trying to update
for the next 30 years :)
all the bricks (or any ABS really) looks less vivid over time and in the sun.
But at purchase, the desire was to pop a bit more
that being said, let me also say this: I wasn't that happy with how the change
came about, but there is a bright side to everything. in this case, it is that A
LOT of people who didn't understand the community before, REALLY do now. They've
heard the complaints. Very very loudly :) These changes are here to stay, but
there aren't any more coming any time soon.
All sets coming off the line for 2004 are in the new colors. Anything that's
already been produced (like current PaB inventory, ISD, LEGO Direct exclusives)
are in old color.
I do understand the concern. YOu've spent alot of money building your
collections, and now there will be certain parts that won't be are being
produced in the new colors. So you willl have to find ways to mingle the colors.
(I have a TON of grays myself and will have to find a solution too) I really do
understand.
We are currently looking into options for producing some S@H exclusive bulk
packs with the old colors. We would look to you (at a point in the future ) if
we are able to do that to help us choose the assortment

CarWag: leider auch wieder grau: Will it be possible to buy old grey plates and
bricks in bulk-packs? Maybe over S@H

Kate: Es wird das alte Restgrau geben bis wir ausverkauft sind. ABer viel ist es
nicht. Platten, Steine, und die 1 x1 Mosaik Steine gibt es noch via SAH.
Moeglicherweise werden wir via SAH einige Exclusiv Artikel mit den "alten"
Farben habe,aber ich kann es Euch noch nicht 100% bestaetigen.

Corinna: Ihr habt früher sehr schöne 12 Volt-Eisenbahnen wie die 7755 oder den
TEE gebaut. Wird so etwas auch mal in 9 Volt System geben?

Jake: Well, I can't talk about upcoming products, but the trains line will
continue into the future. (Sorry I get in big trouble if I share upcoming
product info....if I even have it in!)

coyote: Is there a chance for more animals in minifigscale? I think there's a
lack of several species such as lions, rhinos and so on.

Jake: Some of the new sets have a focus on animals, not mini-fig scale. I would
recommend emailling customer service with your specific requests on those types
of things. They collect and share that regularly.

Kate: Es stimmt, je mehr von Euch diese "Wishlist" and dem Kundenservice
weitergeben, desto besser hoeren sie Heeren ganz oben zu!!

Dominik: ja gibt es denn auch mal wieder sculpturen , wie die freihheitstatur
oder so?

Jake: that is actually one of the things that sets up the discussions for new
products, along with other inputs

Pirat: - interessieren dich nur Skulpturen? Momentan nicht. Minifigure 3723 -
aber nicht mehr lange

Hümpfch: Have you heared about the new custom made train wheels an what ist your
opinion in custom made parts?

Jake: Yeah, I've actually seen the wheels in person. They are terrific. It's
wonderful to see fans taking solutions upon themselves when we can't.

treczoks: "Can't" or "dont care" wegen dem kleinen Kundenkreis?

Hümpfch: Why does LEGO cannot produces such wheels?

Jake: That is a good question, with an easy answer: we simply can't do
absolutely everything. there are so many great possibilities, and we have to, we
must figure out what core set will do the best business.

Hümpfch: LEGO cannot earn enough money with such wheels?

Jake: Probably not. To make it worth it for us, we would have to produce
hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure that there is a market

Ben: that would be a single new mould - you did new bumpers+magnet holders
(which nobody asked for)?

Jake: Yes, but there are other reasons why new molds are made.... sometimes its
because the old mold is bad, and we have to replace, so a slight alteration is
made to "modernize" it. sometimes a new part is made to be in line with the
products (steam wheels on a new modern loco wouldn't have worked).

Tretty: Wird es noch mal so Aktionen wie in Idee und Spiel Läden mit Wühlkisten
bei den geben?, Warum gibt es solche Aktionen nicht in den Lego Stores

Kate: LEGO Stores haben die "Pick a Brick" Wand. Da kann mann ja auch gut
wuehlen oder nicht? Die Auswahl ändert sich ständig. Wenn ihr wünsche habt macht
doch mal eine Liste dir wir auf 1000steine verbessern und ich diese unseren
Stores weitergeben kann. René ist das machbar, wie zB. mit den Flop und Top?

Navigation: Ist es auf jeden Fall. Vorzugsweise aber erst, wenn die
Bulk-Bestellung abgeschlossen ist

Jake: I would also suggest that you talk to the store/park managers. Let them
know your interests. It's important to share the feedback you have with those
folks, as they can directly affect the change

treczoks: They all tell us that their superiors don't care. We had that time and
again

Jake: superiors don't care? really? Where at?

treczoks: Windsor. Günzburg. Köln. "We only get what Billund sends us - if they
send something at all"

Jake: try asking again and if that doesn't work, email customer service

Kate: You mean the Brandstores. and the people working there cannot really make
decisions, but we can pass onto Sales and Marketing what would sell better. It
is being looked into and pusehd for 2004 that Brandstores will eventually get
more Elements similar to the Parks selection

El_Caracho: My Question: Is "Model Team" finally dead? Have the new Designer
Sets replaced it (And why on earth does the yellow Pickup have NO STEERING???)
Will the 5571 truck become a legend?

Jake: Model team has morphed into the Advanced Designers sets. Like Brad always
says, nothing is ever "dead". But these Advanced sets are some terrific stuff.
if it doesn't have steering, you should add it :)

Holy: How could we prevent LEGO from selecting as next movie theme a movie as
bad as Spiderman? How do they even select the themes?

Kate: Fand jeder Spiderman so schlecht? Mir gefiel der Film recht gut.

TF: "Bad" is YOUR opinion. There are always people who find good films bad and
bad films good.

Jake: Movies and any licensing agreement is selected based on a whole range of
things. What will be the best match with LEGO products, with LEGO values. What
products/themes/movies will work best for LEGO consumers... Spiderman did very
well as a movie, FYI

treczoks: tells us something about the bad taste of the masses :-))

Jake: Well, personally I loved the movie... but that's just me. Heh, I must be
one of the masses! ;D

Jake: Overall, do you think the community support and interaction from LEGO in
the last couple of years has improved? Are we on the right track?

Jan.K: Yes.

Hümpfch: could be worse ;)

Jojo: The track is right, the finish is still far away.

Misch: yes

Q: On the right track yes, but not at the end of it, at the current speed ask
again in 10 years

Taki: of course

Roland: slowly

coyote: better, but not perferct

Markdo: yes,but slow

Legonär: I agree to Jojo - 1000 %

legosternchen: Yes the right way but with some errors

treczoks: direction ok, length, depth, width still to short.

holy: if now the new gray is taken back, and said it was al a test to find the
true LEGO-followers, then you are on the right track

El_Caracho: Definitely YES (in comparison to the late 90s)

Ben: The S@H products are 100% cool. Communication and interaction is much
improved and appreciated

Navigation: Wenn ich an vor drei Jahren denke, hat sich da schon SEHR viel
getan. Ich sage nur: Unterstützung 1000steine-Land mit Riesen-Baukiste und
unzähligen Skulpturen

SvenM: If the new Inventor and Creator sets are the future, LEGO is on the right
track!

Kate (to Hümpfch): - would be worse... well glad to here that - what motiviation
:-)

Jake: We'll be doing more and more moving forward. Getting the battleship turned
around is slow, but once it's moving, it becomes MUCH easier!

Jan.K: Wird die Minifigur von 1978 nach und nach durch Jack Stone abgelöst? Das
wäre eine traurige Nachricht zu ihrem 25. Geburtstag.

Jan.K (english): Will the minifig be replaced by Jack Stone step by step? That
would be very sad news as it just grew 25 years old...

Jake: Jack Stone replace mini-fig. Ha! No way. just like the Duplo figs didn't
replace minifigs. Jack Stone serves a very good purpose, but it's for a specific
audience (just like Duplo)

TF: but why those sucky JS-type figs in the new Pirate sets? Those sets look
like Playmobil.

Kate: Pirate are classified at the 4+ range. Thats why they are bigger.

Jake: Some years, there are things in the JS or DUPLO/Explore line that aren't
in System range. Doesn't mean anything about the disappeance of the System
version

Jojo: Support the Minifig Rights Movement!

treczoks: long live the minifig!

Jan.K: the minifig becomes rarely seen in LEGO world.

Pirat: The Minifigure is still going stong. DONT worry about that!

Jojo: What exactly does TLC expect from their eBay-auctions? The items being
offered there only attract a very low number of collectors, much lower than the
already (comparatively) low number of AFOLs.

Jojo (german): Was verspricht sich LEGO von seinen eBay-Auktionen? Die Dinge,
die TLC auf eBay versteigert sprechen doch nur einen SEHR speziellen
Sammlerkreis an, der noch weit kleiner ist als die sowieso schon kleine Anzahl
der AFOLs.

Jake: the eBay auctions are meant to 1) get cool stuff out that we typically
haven't been able to get to consumers, and 2) introduce LEGO, show why LEGO is
cool to the multi-million person eBay community

SvenM: But why are the models sticked together? (glued)

Jake: Depends on the model. Some of them are old models that were in stores (so
they had to be glued to stay in one piece). some of them are glued to ensure
safe shipping. the buyers aren't necessarily builders, so if you bought a model
for a friend, child, self for display and it arrived in 1200 pieces, you
wouldn't be happy!

Kate: Ebay Auktionen sind hier um cooles LEGO dem Kunden zu zeigen und die
Möglichkeit zu geben die Produkte zu kaufen, und der Startken ebay Community zu
zeigen was mann alles aus LEGO bauen kann. Viele Modelle sind ja auch mehr als
Display gedacht. Sprich zum bewundern und nicht auseinander nehmen.

legosternchen: wird es wieder Dächer zu kaufen geben speziell verschieden
farbige Dachaußenecken ??

Jake: Everything is a possiblity... we can't talk about upcoming products though
:)

Jojo: Slope bricks shouldn't be considered "upcoming products" They should be
AVAILABLE all the time

Kate: Creator bringt ein Hauserset raus nächstes Jahr, .......

Sphinx: bringt Creator nur ein neues Häuserset raus?

Jake: We can't talk about new product releases, but if you have desires, again,
best thing is to email customer service so they have that logged

Ben: Jake , Martin wanted to know if there is a legal issue with some fans
producing parts that fit into the LEGO® system? (Like driver wheels)

Jake: Ben, good question. so long as you aren't using the LEGO trademarks to
sell your customs, it's fine

brickhead: What happened to the "My Own Creation" line.... is it already sacked
before it really started?

Jake: why would you think it's sacked?

brickhead: well, there haven't been many sets released..... I can only think of
3739 and the SF wagons...

Jake: yep. but with all the exclusives, especially the MOCs, it takes a while to
get through the process of new product development. We've had three sets so far
(Blacksmith, 2 SF wagons). it's still around, but it will always be a slow
process

Markdo: ist es geplant die alten Themen wie Space,Ritter und Legoland zu
reanimieren? Und ich meine bei Space nicht Star Wars oder Discovery-sondern Sets
sondern Sets wie vor 10-20 Jahren und nicht Jackstone like

Jake: We can't talk about upcoming products releases. But again, like Brad
always says, nothing is ever dead

Kate: wie gesagt, wir koennen EUch KEINE info. geben von neuen Artikel die noch
nicht lanziert sind. Sorry

Navigation: Dazu ist zu sagen, dass Jake uns im LUGNET ein "Bannerjahr" 2004 für
Ritter-Fans angekündigt hat, NEBEN den bekannten 5 Galirittern!

Markdo: Jake soll ja kein Details verraten-aber es sieht so aus als ob er sich
von einer Ausflucht auf die andere verlässt

Jake: I'm sorry that I'm not able to release that stuff, but if I did, I'll be
fired. I don't want to loose my job!

Misch: ich habe eine frage zu 4512,und zwar ist es im Luxemburger S@H 30€ teurer
als im Deutschen,was sich auf die Ladenpreise auswirkt,woran liegt das,vor allem
wo die andern Sets im gleichen Rahmen liegen?

Kate: Wir halten uns an die Maerkte,aber wenn es sich nur um 4512 handelt frage
ich morgen frueh nochmals nach und poste die Antwort im Forum

Pudie: gibt es größere Kurvenradien für die Eisenbahn ? Daß ließe sich teusende
male verkaufen

Jake: I know this is a big big question. I know that the train designers are
aware of the issue, and have looked into it. Nothing is planned right now,
however

Pudie: Gibt es zu World City auch mal zivile Sets ? Nur Feuerwehr und Polizei
ist langweilig

Jake: You never know what might happen with World City. It's been a while since
we've had police and fire "basics". We heard a lot of fans (and I mean A LOT)
tell us that they wanted to see more of these. Kids were saying the same, so
that's the first ones we launched

Pudie: Mir wären Redesigns statt der Legenden lieber (siehe Star Wars). Damit
wäre den Sammlern und "Spielern " gedient

Kate: Redesign kommt doch in 2004 mit dem Millennium Falcon... ;D

Q: LEGOLAND model makers order parts from Billung in bulk, they just fax/email
they need a K8 full of this or that and they get it. Granted they have to pay
for it, but so could we. Would it be possible to give us easy access to the same
product range/quantity they can order, for a decent price? If not, why not?
Afterall, it would be easy money, no difficult counting or packaging or anything
like that, just a normal box full of bricks, fresh from the warehouse.

Kate: Die Bulkbestellung war genau das. Auch im LEGOLAND wird die Antwort sein,
was wir nicht haben koennen wir auch nicht schicken

Q: I wasn't talking about old grey, I'm talking about stuff you do have or they
have in Billund, maybe not for S@H, but the model shops in the parks can order
stuff easy, and they get it. I'm also not talking about 100g of this and 10g of
that, I'm talking about full boxes, like the ones the model shops order

Kate: Wir arbeiten an einem neuen konzept das sehr änlich der Pick and Brick
ist. Mehr Details werden in den naechsten monaten folgen. Mehr kann ich Euch
leider nicht sagen

Q: Thanks, after all no answer is also an answer.

Taki: Is it possible, that a new castle-series will be published next year
(using the new colors and minifigscale) ?

Taki (german): Ist es möglich, dass Lego nächstes Jahr eine neue Castle-Serie
rausbringt?

Jake: ..... like i said before .... I can't release new product info. But as has
been announced, 2004 will be a banner year for Castle fans

TF: "Legend" reissue: Which one ist next and when? // Was gibt's als nächste
Neuauflage ("Legende") und wann?

Jake: I can't release new product info. I don't want to lose my job. I'm sure
you can understand

TF: yes, I realize that, however can you tell us if there will be one at all and
if so, when?

Jake: let's just say there are always new things coming, and from our history,
you can see that there will probably be something coming

treczoks: About Bulk-Orders: In the Cologne Brand-Store they have
cardboard-boxes in which they get their delivieries for the PAB wall. Similar
bulk-boxes propably exist for the delivery of the LEGOLAND building shops. Why
not selling them to us?

treczoks (german): Bulk-Bestellung: im Kölner Brandstore haben sie hinter der
Theke die Steine für die PAB-Wand als Kartonware. Ähnliche Kisten existieren
wohl auch für die Belieferung der Legoländer. Warum kann man die als Endkunde
nicht kaufen?

Kate: - die Ware wird dem Shops geliefert um diese dem Endkunden zu geben, PReis
ware gleich via uns oder via Brandstores od. LEGOLAND parks

Kate: in English too. Product is given to the shops to sell to the Consumer. So
the price stays the same whether you buz directly from us or the Brand stores

treczoks: nee, die wollen nicht verkaufen...

Hümpfch (zu Kate): Hast Du keine Frage an uns?

Kate: KLAR HAB ICH EINE FRAGE... so gut oder schlecht unsere Antworten sind.
Wollt ihr das Jake und ich solche Sessions oefters machen wenn René uns das OK
gibt

Kate (english): MY QUESTION, do sessions like these make sense and do you want
Jake and I to do them (if Rene gives his OK)?

Jojo: Ja.

treczoks: Ja, unbedingt!

Pengana: JA

Jojo: Und vielleicht werden wir beim nächsten Mal disziplinierter sein...
(harhar)

brickhead: Yep!

SvenM: Yes. It's fun!

TF: sure

rene.kok: Super!!!!!

Q: Ist ganz lustig, wenn auch nicht unbedingt infromativ, also warum nicht.

Jan.K: auf jeden Fall.

Hümpfch: Das war eine SUPER Idee von Euch, Thanks *kiss*

legosternchen: Ja sehr gern

Vince: great idea

Ben: Jede Information und jeder Kontakt ist herzlich willkommen!

holy: excellent idea

Legopapi: natürlich wollen und mögen wir das! warum prügeln sich denn sonst seit
stunden hier die leute um die plätze?

Jake: Woo Hoo! ;D

Vince: Will there be a new Mindstorms series next year? Or is Mindstorms dead as
most of the expansion kits are... And why does Lego produce the third generation
8460? Too many yellow technic bricks on stock?

Jake: Can't talk about new product releases, but as Brad has often said, nothing
is ever dead

Jojo: Ist das 10000 Guarded Inn out of stock?

Kate: Ja, und kommt momentan nicht wieder

SvenM: Why do the modern town sets all look like action series sets?

Jake: action series?

SvenM: I've never seen a policeman on a trike...

Jake: ah. Well, just the model builder choice :0

Legopapi: when do we be able to buy the pieces for our mocs, build with the
lego-software? what about red (and blue, green...) train-axles and covers for
the train-motor like the gray ones of the santa fé? I think on models of famous
old trains - german steamengines would be great!

Jake: Good question Legopapi. We are working on that. We are also working on
systems that tie in your model with the PaB selection. i'd drop customer service
a note and tell them that. That way it is recorded and logged

friccius: Playmobil is well known. At the Playmobil service you can order nearly
every part of the sets they have had manufactured by the part number. Why is
such a service not available by LEGO?

friccius (german): Playmobil kennt ja jeder. Bei Playmobil kann ich anhand der
Teilenummer beim dortigen Service fast jedes Teil eines jemals gefertigten Sets
nachbestellen. Warum gibt es diesen Service nicht auch von LEGO? Sorry, aber das
mußte noch raus.

Jake: Yeah, but Playmobil doesn't have Kate. That's why they aren't as cool. :)

Kate: Playmobil ist nicht LEGO.Wir haben diesen Service nicht dafür aber
LEGENDS, MOCS und klassiker. Wir haben alledings Bulk auf den Markt gebracht,
die Stores haben die Pick a Brick also wir kommen voran....

RRR: What is the future of Mindstorms? Will it continued with new extensions
(like stronger motors (very important!!), new sensors, RCX-Extensions or new RCX
with more Ports ....) ? This is only a question about the future - not for new
sets ;-)

Jake: Mindstorms is not dead.......

Jojo: ...as Brad always says.

wonwiin: The topselling theme these days?

Jake: Bionicle. Without question

cice: ich wollte nur wissen wie sieht die Zukunft von Lego-Technik aus? Wird es
jemals wieder Sets mit Noppen geben? Oder ist Technik am aussterben?

cice (english): Will there ever be technic sets again where you can actually see
some studs? Is the technix beam with STUDS and holes dead?

Jake: that is a design decision and I don't have that info

El_Caracho: Is the deal with BMW Williams off? Why did Lego produce two almost
identical technic sets (Silver Champion, Williams F-1)?

Jake: I don't have the details of the BMW relationship

Ben: Thanks Kate and Jake for taking your time!

Jake: Happy to do it. Thanks for the invite!

Pirat (zu Navigation): - Danke fuers Moderieren und das du den Chat fuer die 30+
"geoeffnet hast" von Jake and Kate