 General / 44092
44091  |  44093
Subject:
My feelings on the recent brouhaha [positive!]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:53:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey all,

I just wanted to say that I find the whole explosion of rhetoric, vitriol,
and support over the recent color change inspiring, saddening, and
heartening.  It means that this community of ours is indeed a widely varied
combination of individuals, some of whom express themselves quickly and
fiercely, others who sit back and think awhile before they hold forth their
own thoughts.  I like to think of myself as the latter, although if you
Google through some old posts on the Bionicle ng you can find some priceless
foot-in-mouth hogwash typed by yours truly because I had no prior knowledge
or info on the subject being debated.

Even though this issue is very different in many ways, it still shows just
how difficult change can be and how much of a challenge it is to be heavily
invested in any hobby, especially if you feel like the company doesn't
really care about your opinion or feelings.  We all feel like we have valid
opinion to offer to any company whose product we purchase.  More so if we
happen to have a LOT of this particular product.  I think the suddeness of
this change is what's really bothering many of us.  It seems like an very
hasty decision, done with little research or consideration of the possible
impact it would have.  The fact that it will obviously result in sweeping
changes in the product line has a lot of us squirming with discomfort and
feelings of betrayal.

Now I don't feel this way, but I can see how a lot of people might,
especially those who have very large collections.  This color change is
rather abrupt, but there have been lots of radical changes at TLG over the
years.   It's already been suggested and I think rightly so, that this is
not the end of the world.  Many of us thought that Town Jr, Bionicle, and
Galidor would be the beginning of the end.  I suspect in a few months we'll
look back on all this flameage and laugh at our short-sightedness.

Here's hoping!

Dave