 General / 43977
Re: Petition against permanent color changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:22:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   If your only complaint is the quality of cohesion then this is no longer a real issue with Mega Bloks. If you are insistent on LEGO brand just for the sake of the name than I respect that.

It’s brand loyality and 30+ years of doing business with LEGO (never a dark age). I still hear stories from many friends who have had troubles with MB. So I figure “Why spend my money on something people say is starting to work when I’ve been using a product that has and continues to work for me for over 30 years?”

If I may be permitted to speak on the issue of clone brands, I offer the following: You pose a valid question, and it actually describes something quite distinct from (and better than) pure brand loyalty, which can be self-defeating. Your preference for LEGO seems to stem from your long history of success with the brand, coupled with the negative reports you’ve received re: clones. You’re making a deliberate decision based upon the evidence available to you. Brand loyalty, in contrast, suggests a kind of blind, unthinking acceptance of only a single brand, regardless of changes in quality, price, or value.

Maybe a good way to think about the question is this: can you imagine, hypothetically, a time when MEGA BLOKS quality rises high enough, and LEGO quality sinks low enough, that you would begin buying MEGA BLOKS in preference to LEGO? If the answer is “no,” then you’re probably a dedicated brand loyalist. If the answer is “yes,” then you may be loyal to the brand, but you’re also a pragmatist.

By the way, MEGA BLOKS are great!

Dave!