 General / 4351
Re: a short rant...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 05:35:34 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

Well the AS (AucZILLA Standard) gets a little skewed on occasion.  I, myself am
a good reason why.  I've been on a buying spree lately, and wasn't going to
participate in Auczilla X, except for the fact that I had a balance from
previous Auczilla's.  Well I decided to just bid on a few things to clear out my
account.  That turned out to be 6 items (two white stairstep arches, and four
2x2x3 white corner steep slopes, all of these being very scarce and in high
demand).  The fact that it would cost me several dollars per piece was not a
concern because my outstanding balance would cover it.  Well those six items are
gonna cost over $40.00.  Normally I would say OUCH, but again I didn't care,
since some of the money was (figuratively) "not coming out of my pocket".

And, I bet, you "prepaid" and got the 15% discount as well:-)

What some people are gonna do, is to look at the fact that I paid $15 for 2
white arches.  They won't notice that I bought 4 others at a recent auction for
less than $3.  Next thing you know, everyone will be holding onto their "prized"
arches, because I artificially skewed the bid in Auczilla X.  And people wonder
why there is no price guide.  Yes that would ruin the hobby.

Another reason for Auczilla high prices is because of people who enter the
auction late, after many items have already entered "SOLD" status.  They then
drive up the remaining items that are still available, because they are
desperate for some winnings, and usually money is not a concern.

Gary Istok

I agree with your analysis completely.

-John