 General / 43284
Re: 2 Lego Stores open today!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:18:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.loc.us.il, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   The stores in:

Solomon Pond Mall, MA - MA - Marlborough and Woodfield Mall, IL - IL-Schaumburg Open today!!

So if you are in the area go check it out!

They have the Duplo Promo bricks for the opening!! And there IS a market for these bricks! So keep that in mind when you are there!

I hear the other stores mentioned here: http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/il/?n=280

Will all open by the first part of November - so be on the lookout!

I just visited the new LEGO Store in the Solomon Pond Mall in Marlboro this morning. Brickshelf pictures are available at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=60128 It looks very nice! The store is stocked with many (though apparently not all) of the sets that are currently in production, including many “Hard to Find” sets.

But I didn’t pay too much attention to the sets on the shelves, because I made a beeline to the back wall of the store and the much-anticipated Pick-a-Brick section. I didn’t end up spending quite as much money as I thought I might, mainly due to the limited selection of piece shapes that were available. On the other hand, I would definitely have bought more of what was there if I wasn’t so giddy as I scooped up sand blue 1x4s by the fistfull.

Although the shapes were limited, the colors were plentiful, including tan, purple, brown, sand blue, pink, orange, butter, lime green, and teal. These colors were available in 2x4 brick and there were a few colors of 1x2’s, 1x4’s, and 2x2s. Special pieces included trees (both large and small) black 1x4x2 lattices, clear and trans-green 1x2’s, red 2x2 and 3x3 slope corners, black 2x2 plate, and a few other odds and ends.

The pick-a-brick uses two sizes of container which have a lid that must snap shut onto the container before you can buy it. The small ($6.95) container appears to be 1/2 the size of the large ($12.95) container, which is about the size and shape of a 32-ounce Big Gulp. I quickly discovered that I could fit a lot more brick into a container by stacking them and packing them carefully. The store has a small (child-height) counter for use by patrons who need a work area to pack brick into the containers. The store employees seemed surprised to have discovered a web site containing a detailed analysis of how to pack the containers to maximize the bricks inside.

I was told by the very helpful staff that the pick-a-brick offerings will change over time (month-to-month), and different store locations will offer different selections of bricks. Also, they expect to add more variety as they gain experience with the retail format. There will apparently be limited-edition seasonal promotional items from time to time to keep us coming back.

If you don’t live near one of the store locations that has been announced so far, don’t sell the farm just yet. I am told that this is just the beginning of an ongoing push by LEGO into retail that will involve many store openings around the globe over the next few years.

And yes, the store sells gift cards, in case you were wondering how to thank me for posting all of this helpful information.

- Chris.