 General / 42885
Re: Pick a Brick -- sooner than expected
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:18:14 GMT

In Europe there are two scales of 'pick-a-brick' outlet:

In the LEGO brand shops in the shopping malls, they carry a selection of
about 100 pieces, mostly basic bricks, some in rare colours, plus an
assortment of other, what I'll call 'Creator' bricks, such as 2x2 slopes,
2x3 curved edge bricks, Jack Stone wheels and tyres, propellers, fences and
so on. There are very few plates carried, usually only yellow ones. At least
one UK shop has changed its selection (for the worse IMHO) recently by
dropping nearly all 1xn bricks.

In the European LEGOLAND parks there is a better selection, with perhaps
some 500 different parts at Billund.  Gunzburg's selection is less complete
but not too shabby. Windsor has a lot of catching up to do; it's selection
is, shall we say, interesting but generally useless. I think California is
up there with Billund from what I have read.

It will be interesting to hear what your US shops carry.

I can't tell you how many bricks you get for imperial measurements, but for
1Kg, the quantities are roughly, for example, as follows:

1x1 brick - 2315
2x2 brick - 862
2x4 brick - 456

Plate 2x4 - 871
Slope 2x2 - 968

I have data for other parts as well, if anyone's interested.

Huw