 General / 4262
Re: Question about classic ESSO Service Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 18:22:23 GMT

Anders Isaksson wrote:

Gary Istok skrev i meddelandet <3739E513.D9092180@umich.edu>...

I have a few questions for our European and early Samsonite collectors
about the late 50's - early 60's ESSO Service Station #310 produced in
Europe only I believe.  In the USA/Canada I believe this building only
came with the Town Plan (#725).  This station is one of my favorite LEGO
structures because of its streamlined moderne (late Art Deco) style.

What I was wondering about are the red accent stripes on this set.
There is a thick red stripe near the base made with regular red bricks
and one red macaroni brick.  But on the early European version of this
set there is also a red stripe going along the top of the building that
follows the edge of the white plates, and curves around the corner
(where there is a 4x8 white curved plate).  This same red strip is shown
in the earlier (1961-62) Town Plan (725) set by Samsonite in the
US/Canada, but not the later (1962-64) version.

How is this red "stripe" produced on the European sets?  Do some of the
white plates (2x8, 4x8, 6x8, 4x8 curved) have red coloring along one
edge?  This has mystified me for a while..

You can also see it on my scans of an early Idea Book
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook.htm

or more precisely:
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/p04a.jpg and
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/p04b.jpg

It sure looks like the edge is painted red, or something like that. I am
almost sure this was my first 'real' Lego set (around '59 - '60), but I have
*no* memory of a red edge, and as most of my old pieces still exist (in a box
at my parents), I'm positively sure there are no red edges now. Could it have
been a tape perhaps?

As you can see in the p04b.jpg, it's red also in the drawing, not only in the
photo (p04a.jpg).

Well, it's one of these mysteries...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm

Check this out, eBay has a European Esso Service Station (#310) from the early
1960's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=105980799

Wow, what a nice set!  And do you notice the red striping along the top rim.  It
looks like the bricks were painted with that red line.  A very impressive set.  I
would bid on it if it weren't for the fact that I already have all the parts
(minus the stripes, and with a red garage door, not the earlier white door).
But I sure would like that box.  Sigh.

Gary Istok