 General / 4114
4113  |  4115
Subject:
Question about classic ESSO Service Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 20:31:16 GMT

I have a few questions for our European and early Samsonite collectors
about the late 50's - early 60's ESSO Service Station #310 produced in
Europe only I believe.  In the USA/Canada I believe this building only
came with the Town Plan (#725).  This station is one of my favorite LEGO
structures because of its streamlined moderne (late Art Deco) style.

What I was wondering about are the red accent stripes on this set.
There is a thick red stripe near the base made with regular red bricks
and one red macaroni brick.  But on the early European version of this
set there is also a red stripe going along the top of the building that
follows the edge of the white plates, and curves around the corner
(where there is a 4x8 white curved plate).  This same red strip is shown
in the earlier (1961-62) Town Plan (725) set by Samsonite in the
US/Canada, but not the later (1962-64) version.

How is this red "stripe" produced on the European sets?  Do some of the
white plates (2x8, 4x8, 6x8, 4x8 curved) have red coloring along one
edge?  This has mystified me for a while..

Anyway, here is set # 310 (in lugnet database), check out the red
striping:

And here is the earlier Town Plan set which also has this red stripe
Look at the gas station on the Town Plan board above the set (Bill
Katz/Joe Lauher site):

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

The later Town Plan set (1962-64) does not have this upper red stripe
(Bill Katz/Joe Lauher site):

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_e2.jpg

Very Interesting,

Gary Istok