 General / 42441
Re: Bricklink Newbie Needs Help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:22:45 GMT

Max Maxwell wrote:
I am new to the buying and selling of Lego parts online, so I have few
questions. But, I would prefer that you answer me via e-mail, and not by
replying to this message on Lugnet. (Don't want to publically offend anyone)
Thanks.

1. How do I know my order is safe and will get to me quickly and undamaged?

2. How do I know the information I submit to order something won't be misused

3. Are there any sellers/stores that I should consider buying from more than
others? (I typically buy Technic parts)

4. Are there any sellers/stores I should avoid? (i.e. they would rip me off,
steal my money, etc.)

5. What do I do if I [AM] ripped off?

For 1 and 5.  The most you can do is read the reviews left by other
buyers.  Generally speaking, the more reliable the seller, the more
likely he is to have positive reviews within the last 6 months.
Personally, I pay careful attention to the reviews left by both the
seller and buyer for particular orders, as well as the dates of when the
seller posts feedback, which tells me about how regularly he or she gets
around to shipping orders.  Also, I take note of when feedback was left
*for* the buyer for particular orders and compare that to the review
left *by* the buyer for the same order.  This can often give me an idea
of how fast the seller's methods are.  This doesn't work for sellers
that don't leave feedback until feedback is left for them, but a lot of
sellers leave feedback for the buyer once they've received payment and
before they ship.

For #3, my personal favorite is Technic Wreckers, located in Australia.
     The URL for his store is
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=praetorian

I have not yet had any bad experiences on bricklink, so I can't help you
with #4, but the best thing you can do is to pay attention to a seller's
feedback rating.  Look at what people have to say about them and make up
your mind from there.

As for your concern with #2, I always pay through Paypal, so the seller
never sees my credit information.  They get my shipping address, of
course, but I think it's unlikely that information would be misused.

Hope this helps.