 General / 42173
Re: Questions about Electric, Light Brick 4.5V 2 x 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 19:41:41 GMT

"Curt" <CommanderCurt@msn.com> writes:
Hello,
For those of you that have the Electric Light Brick 4.5V 2x2
(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=08010b), I have some questions.
I'm going to buy lights for a model I'm making, and I wanted to get some of
this kind of piece.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there actually a light bulb in there? It's hard to tell by the picture.
2. What kind of battery box does it need?
3. Is it bright?

Yes there is a light bulb inside, a very small one.  It uses the
standard 4.5V LEGO wires and battery box (same as the motors of that
period).  I don't know how to quantify its brightness, but my memory
says it was.

I was given one of those when I was a kid (about 10 years old).  I
used it to illuminate my Classic Space base MOC's.  But I got tired of
running through my C cells and, not having the grasp of electronics
that I do today, plugged the 4.5V LEGO wires directly into the 110V AC
wall outlets.

The lights were REALLY bright for a few seconds, and then forever
dark.  I'm just lucky I wasn't shocked and didn't start a fire.
And doubly lucky I didn't live in Europe at the time...

To this day I occasionally contemplate trying to open up the bricks to
replace the light bulb, but never got around to it.  I'm pretty sure I
still have the bricks somewhere...

--Bill.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson