 General / 42100
42099  |  42101
Subject:
Off-Topic - Virus Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 11:58:23 GMT

G'Day
First off, I aplogize for posting this to general, but (you knew there was a
"BUT" didn't you, there's always a "BUT") I have received two of these this
morning and it looks like my email address came from lugnet users.  This is
NOT to cast blame, rather to warn.  There is a virus of some sort making the
rounds posing as a Microsoft(TM) patch.  Do not open the attachment, delete
it.

"TO ANYONE WHO RECEIVED THIS EMAIL. IT IS A FAKE!  MICROSOFT DOES NOT, I
REPEAT DOES NOT, SEND OUT PATCHES VIA EMAIL.  (Unless you have an open $upport
ticket.)  THIS IS MORE THAN LIKELY A VIRUS OR OTHER HARMFUL PROGRAM.  DO NOT
UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OPEN THE ATTATCHMENT."

The original email looks like : (may even come as html format and look very
convincing, even includes legit. MS links).
(Attachment is something like Q127201.exe, although the number may change.)

----- Original message follows -----

Microsoft Client

this is the latest version of security update, the

"May 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all

known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer,

Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five newly discovered

vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from these

vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to

run executable on your system. This update includes the functionality

of all previously released patches.

System requirements:

Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP

This update applies to:

Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later

Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later

Microsoft Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later

Recommendation:

Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.

How to install:

Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.

How to use:

You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Technical Support is available at

<http://support.microsoft.com/>

For security-related information about Microsoft products,

please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site at

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>

Contact us at

<http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/goregwiz.asp?target=/contactus/contactus.asp>

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored

e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Cheers
Oliver