 General / 42088
42087  |  42089
Subject:
Strange price differences.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 18:12:12 GMT

I recently got a catalog from a dutch shop (a novelty in itself, their
prices tend to be higher than in the catalog, so in the past they never had
them in the shops) and this weekend I got a german one. I expected some
differences in prices, but they are much bigger, and seem more random than I
expected.
Here's a few examples from the Januari-July 2003 catalog (all prices in
Euros):
Designer sets.
All prices equal, except 4401:
NL 7,99 DE 9,49
Creator:
All sets are cheaper in Germany, difference up to 2,50 except 4023 (equal)
and 4173 (0,50 cheaper in Holland)
Technic:
8451/8453: NL 24,99 DE 19,99 (Yes, that's +25% for us dutch...)
8441           NL  7,99  DE   7,49
8466           NL 129,- DE  122,99
8465           NL   44,99 DE 46,99 (The odd one out: cheaper in Holland)
Racers:
4588/8473  NL 59,99   DE 49,99 (20%!)
8475           NL 149,99 DE 129,99 (Yes, 20,- cheaper!)
Most other 8xxx racers are 2,- cheaper in Germany. Odd one out here is 8471:
No longer available in Germany (So that's why they were on sale in
Kaufhof...)
Star Wars:
Again, most sets up to 5,- cheaper in Germany, Except 7119 and 8012 which
are marginally cheaper in Holland.

I'm not gonna go through the whole thing, I'm not that sad...
As I said at the start, I expected some differences due to VAT percentages
and stuff. What surprised me was how big the difference is (up to 25%) and
how random: In each theme there seem to be one or two sets that go against
the 'rule'. Has anyone seen similar strange differences between other
countries? Can anyone explain them?
Can we maybe set up a site to compare prices across Europe (so you know what
to look out for on your holidays....)?

Duq