 Local / Deutschland / 895
Re: Strange price differences.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 20:12:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
I recently got a catalog from a dutch shop (a novelty in itself, their
prices tend to be higher than in the catalog, so in the past they never had
them in the shops) and this weekend I got a german one. I expected some
differences in prices, but they are much bigger, and seem more random than I
expected.

Hi once again Duq!

[Snip all examples]

Has anyone seen similar strange differences between other
countries? Can anyone explain them?

I only can try to explain: Lego has (had?) lots of smaller head quarters for
different regions within Europe. Munich for all German speaking countries, one
head quarter for the Benelux and then Billund + London.

And for each of these regions they have different staff, different prices,
different marketing strategies... It's a little bit nuts and ends up in such
big price differences as you found out.

I am myself amazed about the quite big differences. 25% is far too much for
neighbour markets.

Between the US and Europe there are quite big differences as well. In the US
there
are some train sets much cheaper (especially with 1 Euro = 1,10 $). The 9V
train motor was 25$ in comparison to 35 Eur in European S@H (when I checked it
a few month ago).

Lots of universal/basic sets (blue bucket with 1200 bricks for less than 20
bucks!!) are cheaper in the US as well, because they have to compete with other
brands that are not to be bought here.
On the other hand we have had lots of cheaper Star Wars and general
Minifig-sets.

Kind Regards,

Ben