 General / 41750
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:32:03 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about • the
LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it
which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm
interested in hearing others' thoughts on the LEGO community.

WHEW!  This is quite a topic to cover!  But, hey, I like it :-)

Particularly - what do you think the LEGO community includes? what does it
exclude?

As someone has already mentioned, LEGO is a medium.  If someone uses that
medium then they can be part of the community.

Myself, for example, use other mediums to bring out ideas within me such as
photography of non-LEGO subjects and sand sculpting (San Diego has a lot of
beaches).  Do I consider myself in those communities? Sure, because I am
using those other mediums.  Granted, I don't participated in contests,
newsgroups, etc. of the said but I just have fun doing it and using the
tools to make those ideas a reality within those mediums.

What it exculdes is a bit tougher to answer.  Personally, if you don't use
the medium then you're not part of the community. I gotta admit, it sounds a
bit mean.

I entered the online LEGO community in late 1996, when there was only RTL
(and a dying ATL) for mainstream discussion. The LEGO community was not • very
big compared to today, and there were few resources available. Also, since
discussion centered around Usenet newsgroups, the active members were more
experienced computer/internet users - often programmers by trade or • college
students.

Since then, we've seen an apparent change in the demographic of the fan
community. More people online and involved today are general computer • users,
and perhaps barely computer literate. They come from a wide variety of
backgrounds and with that have different attitudes and outlooks towards • the
LEGO community.

Through local clubs and community events worldwide, we know that many LEGO
fans are not connected to the internet, or choose not to participate in
online discussion. There are also people who aren't a part of the
"mainstream" LEGO hobby - they embrace "controversial" [1] themes such as
Bionicle, or participate in LEGO organizations not directly connected to • the
online community such as First LEGO League.

The internet age we live in today certainly has made some broad change in
the LEGO world.  My LEGO community before this age was made up of friends
and relatives who also used the LEGO medium for whatever idea they had in
their head.  Then came the "Alone Ages".  This was a lonely time for me
(never went through a dark age) in my late teens through mid 20's when those
of my age who built when they were younger stopped using LEGO or even build
when they would come over.  Introduction into the internet in the later half
of the 90's did help break the "lonely builders" period.

Granted the "Alone Ages" was tough in my personal LEGO life but there were
many other things, both LEGO related and non-LEGO, that kept me building.

Funny thought, what's worse the "dark ages" or the "alone ages"?

There are people who participate for different reasons. Some participate
purely for light fun, others for the artistic qualities of the brick, and
yet others who put serious time into building community resources to • enhance
the LEGO experience.

As I'm trying to determine what the LEGO community means to me, I'd like • to
hear what it means to you.

It is today's LEGO community that has helped me break the "alone ages".
Participation in that community for whatever reason gives myself and others
a freedom.  We're not limited to just one line of though that can be
presented but rather a cornucopia of ideas open to a spead of opinions.

Eric did bring up a good point about OTD.  THANK GOODNESS Todd L. built that
filter settings into LUGNET so I don't have to see that stuff.

I've encountered very conservative and very liberal attitudes towards what
"the LEGO community" is. I think some feel it is (or should be) limited to
LUGNET, others limited to active online participants. Where on the other • end
of the spectrum, some openly and enthusiastically include Bionicle • builders
and First LEGO League kids, artists who use LEGO as a medium but don't
communicate with LEGO fans online, and more. I've also experienced • different
attitudes towards how the LEGO Company fits in (or doesn't fit in) as a
participant in the LEGO community.

I'd call myself liberal on this topic.  If you use LEGO for whatever means
to express an idea, whatever it may be for whatever purpose, then you are
part of the community.

I see everything in the world of LEGO as having its purpose. Though I lvoe
LUGNET, I don't see it as the end-all, be-all of LEGO sites. I think • there's
plenty of room for places like From Bricks to Bothans and BZPower, even
though they cater to a different demographic than LUGNET does. I also • firmly
believe in the in-person community; local clubs, groups like First LEGO
League, and people who follow LEGO news and attend public shows like those
at BricksWest, Northwest BrickCon, LEGOWORLD, LEGO Train shows, and more.

The internet is NOT an end all.  When I attended the '99 RTL Legofest and
meet all these people live-and-in-person the first time (and not just as
words on a newsgroup page) that made it a VERY big experience for me.  The
"alone ages" may have ended when I came online but it was that event that I
hold most certain inside me when the "alone ages" really came to an end.

I'm for evangelizing the LEGO hobby. I want to see more people discover • this
amazing hobby and the resources that are available to them. I want to see
those people grow in their building skills and build friendships with
like-minded blockheads. I like open LEGO events, that encourage the • public,
or at least members of the public interested in the hobby for themselves, • to
attend. At the same time, I like to get together with my LEGO friends from
all over the country (and even world) and talk shop with few outside
interruptions.

Well said.  Thinking back of high school I was closed mouth about my LEGO
life but when I attened my 10 yr class reunion I just couldn't shut up about
it.  It felt really good going public, to quote: "A LEGO builder and proud
of it!"

So, where do you think LEGO interests which aren't necessarily • "mainstream"
accepted values fit in? What makes someone someone a "member" of the LEGO
community? If someone actively participates in a league such as FLL, but
doesn't post on LUGNET, are they "in?"

Again, a tough call.  When the communication element was so small there
wasn't any LEGO "mainsteam" we have today.  Communications of '03 is not
1993 is not 1983.

I know there are no concrete answers to the questions I am asking. I am
simply wondering what others think. Maybe these thoughts can open peoples'
eyes to what else is out there, beyond our corner of the LEGO world. And I
hope the ideas will help me continue to form my opinions and attitudes
towards the LEGO hobby as a whole.

Thanks for reading - and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-Tim

A great topic to participate in!
Adr.

[1] In the sense that it was quickly shunned by adult fans online when
released, and to this day is not yet widely accepted as a legitimate
building medium by the same.