 General / 41749
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:37:08 GMT

Nick Oranzi wrote:

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about the
LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it
which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm
interested in hearing others' thoughts on the LEGO community.

Particularly - what do you think the LEGO community includes? what does it
exclude?

     I think by using the word community, it specifys a specific group.
Lugnet seems to represent the LEGO internet community.

But Lugnet is NOT the only internet community of LEGO fans, so calling
Lugnet "the LEGO internet community" is innapropriate. Actually, "the
LEGO internet community" is http://www.lego.com since the word order
implies ownership by or direct association with the LEGO company. Lugnet
is _AN_ internet community of fans of LEGO products.

It is also appropriate to talk about expansive communities. For example,
we can talk about the "world community" that includes every human on
this planet. There are all sorts of sizes of communities and they
overlap in membership, geography, time, and interests.

As someone else mentioned, membership in a community is also usually
self defined. Community is a label describing relationships.

Frank