 General / 41688
Re: www.legolinks.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:39:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, James Trobaugh writes:
The ironic part is that there is a link to the LEGO Fairplay rules on the
legolinks.com site. If you read the rules you will see the following paragraph:

"The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address.
Internet addresses have become useful tools for people to identify the
source of a homepage. Using "LEGO" in the domain name would be creating the
misleading impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage. "

I completely missed that, and Todd had asked me to comment on it. Sorry
Todd, you might be hearing from the LEGO lawyers soon :-(

Or just little ol' me!

Yeah, I was going to send a note, but decided to post here and clarify why
this is a big deal. James, you are right, Fair Play does allow for quite a
bit of flexibility in what fans can do on their own sites. The purpose of
Fair Play was not to stop people from creating, rather it is meant to
clearly define what is kosher and what is not.

With the URL question, the main issue comes down to ownership.

We love to see what can be done with the product. We love to see the massive
creativity you all have displayed for the world to see. But if a some
consumer thinks that in some way your site was an official site, and they
happen to not like it or disagree with it, they are on the phone to us. Or
if the press thinks that we run something questionable, our PR folks will
have all kinds of phone calls asking why we developed questionable content.
And on and on...

When consumers see a Web site that has a URL like www.geocities.com/~jimmy
or www.bricksomething.com, but the content is entirely LEGO concept based,
there isn't an expectation that it was developed by TLC. (Plus, it is easy
and possible to disclaim the content itself, as Todd did)

But when they see a site URL like www.LEGOlinks.com, they automatically
associate it to www.LEGO.com. So the assumption is (or at least can often
be) that the site was developed by LEGO Company.

To quote Fair Play:

"The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address

The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address.
Internet addresses have become useful tools for people to identify the
source of a homepage. Using "LEGO" in the domain name would be creating the
misleading impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage."

I hope this makes sense. If not, please let me know.

Jake

--
Community Development Manager
LEGO Direct