 General / 41674
Re: Rules for April Fool's Day (was: Strange Find on Lego.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:43:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Rick Clark writes:
Okay, so for next year, let's review:

1. On or around April 1st, someone may post astonishing news/pictures on LUGNET.
2. Some people may believe the news/pictures are real, and post incredulous
comments about them.
3. Some people may realize it is an April Fool's joke. These people should
please keep quiet about it until the 2nd, so as not to ruin the fun for others.
Some of us actually LIKE to be fooled on the 1st.
4. Some people may be unsure whether or not it is a hoax. I would ask that they
refrain from posting as well. If it's April 1st, just wait a day to post your
doubts.
5. Some people may sound like #2-4, but actually are shills who are in on the
joke, and are posting to create a setup for a denial/proof of the hoax. Please
leave these people alone, and do not resort to name calling about how gullible
they are for believing, or about how mean they are for revealing the joke. If
you yourself aren't personally in on the joke, and you suspect it's a fake, just
don't post for a day. Let it play out.

In summary, if you suspect a hoax on or around April 1st, be a good sport and
please refrain from calling attention to the date. Don't spoil it for others. If
you want to post on the 2nd that you knew all along that it was a hoax, and
exactly how you deduced it from the clues, we will take you at your word. You
don't need to say so on the 1st.

Or am I the only one who feels this way?

Thanks!

Rick Clark
Proud (and embarassed) Foolee of the Great 2000 Ben Beneke Train Hoax
see: http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=5208

Well if there are going to be rules about this sort of thing then how about
this one: lame or copycat hoaxes need not apply.

Personally, I feel that April Fool's has gotten a bit out of hand around
here.  It seems that everybody and his dog have a hoax to spring, and some
of them aren't all that good.  We've all seen the "hey, look at this cool
picture of a set you wish you had" thing, even with the "you'd better take
that down right now" counter-post.

I am reminded of this type of experience:  Room full of people claim that X
is true.  Lone rational person says "you guys are incorrect..." but gets
repeatedly told by roomful of people that X is really true.  Finally, not
wanting to argue any more, lone rational person agrees: "Ok, I guess you
must know what you're talking about."  Roomful of people break out in
laughter "we got you!"  Tee-freaking-hee.  Oh, what fun.  Glad we wasted the
bandwidth, folks...

I enjoyed (and even initially fell for) the rtlTorronto/beep1 prank, but
that was actually funny to read even after one realizes it is a joke.  It
was also constructed in such a way that the clues were right out in the
open, and it had opportunities for others to join in the fun as the prank
unfolded.  A decent prank is one that you don't need additional information
(or a calendar) in order to solve, you just need to trust your own sanity.

All that being said, I must admit that I did have some fun leaving people
guessing once it was suggested that my clock tower might be a hoax.  I even
considered whether I was being a "bad sport" to validate that my clock was
for real without waiting until the 2nd.  Hope I didn't spoil anybody's fun.

- Chris.